Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91701 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JuliaS

JuliaS

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

My cable internet randomly stopped working on my main desktop recently. When I try to repair connections it says it's unable to renew my ip address. Any ideas as to what may me causing this?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

Hi JuliaS, Start Run (type)ipconfig/release - enter Start Run (type)ipconfig/renew - enter Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 JuliaS

JuliaS

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

I've tried that before and once again today... but still no luck.

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:33 PM

Hi JuliaS, May be the Cable/DSL Modem itself. Do you have an installation CD supplied by your ISP? Of course, many problems do get fixed by Turning Off power to the Modem and unplugging the Cable and CAT5 wires. Leave it Off for 10 - 30 minutes before re-connecting and powering up. If you have installation software, then Uninstall Modem software and reinstall. I'm anticipating that you have already taken the above intuitive steps already. Can you supply us with additional information from Control Panel - Networks, and Device Manager - Network Adaptors? Best Regards

#5 JuliaS

JuliaS

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

Umm, additional info, sure. What exactly do you need?

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

In Control Panel - Network Connections.....
What is listed under: "LAN or High-Speed Internet"
Please list: the Name of the Connection, the Status, the Device Name

Do you have Dial-Up utilities listed above Lan or High-speed Internet?
In your browser, if you are connecting via BroadBand, you should have "Never Dial a Connection" check marked on the Internet Options - Connections(Tab).

In Device Manager - Network Adapters
What Devices do you have listed?
Are there any "yellow" or "red" warning flags posted in front of any of the Devices.
If warning flags appear, select to Remove the item and then reboot, allowing Windows to "find new hardware" and "install drivers for new hardware"
or
Reboot and cancel out of the Windows automated "found new hardware" , and install the Device (Network Interface Card NIC) manually from the CD that you may have associated with your NIC.

Best Regards

#7 jeremy_smitty5

jeremy_smitty5

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

Hi JuliaS

Sorry Dough, don't mean to butt in but might have a fix.

First shut down the computer, and unplug power from the cable/dsl modem, and also unplug the enternet cable from both the computer and modem. Leave both computer and modem powerless for at-lease 30 seconds. A minute will ensure better results if you can wait that long.

NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT. Leave everything turned off until told to turn each item back on. If you dont you'll mess up this rountie and it will be worthless.

After waiting time period connect the enternet cable to both computer and modem.

Next leaving the computer off, turn on modem. Watch the modem and wait until all normal activity lights are on and not blinking. This is different from modem to modem. So can't tell you how many lights will be.

After all lights are on and not blinking turn on the computer, and try connecting.

Let me know if this works.

Jeremy

Edited by jeremy_smitty5, 01 September 2006 - 09:35 PM.

#8 JuliaS

JuliaS

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

Control Panel - Network Connections LAN or High-Speed Internet: Name of the connection: Local Area Connection Status: Connected Device: NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller As for device manager: No red flags.

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hi JuliaS, When your internet connection "randomly stopped" has is stayed "stopped" or does it randomly work/not work? Have you considered reinstalling the Chipset Driver for your MotherBoard? Best Regards

#10 JuliaS

JuliaS

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:26 AM

It's stayed stopped. I have not considered reinstalling the Chipset Driver, you'd probably have to tell me how to do that too. ;-)