This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

HELP! IP Address keeps renewing every 15secs

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

PLEASE HELP ME !! My laptop is using an ethernet connection to connect to my router then Comcast Broadband. Out of nowhere just recently, the network icon at the bottom says no connectivity and then it renews the IP address and connects again. This cycle happens every 15-30secs. Does someone know whats going on. It's now annoying to connect to the internet because it keeps doing this cycle, and having to refresh the page every time!
hi djd3fyance, well if its your WAN ip address from your isp, i would call them. if its your LAN ip i would check your router settings, also visit the routers web site and check the FAQ/troubleshooting.
I checked all my settings…set on auto IP address and DHCP. I think its the 3Com ethernet driver. I went on the site, got the new driver saved in a file but unsure what to do next. I uninstalled the ethernet driver, rebooted the comp, but then it registers new hardware and reinstalls the old driver. is there any other way to use the new driver?
Yes, simply click on the .exe you downloaded. However, that is not the problem. You need to change the DHCP IP lease time. More than likely its an HTML setup page for modem so type http://192.168.0.1 into your URL addy bar (or simplyClick here) and see were that takes you. Post back and let us know if that addy doesnt get you were you need to be. Also list type of modem of your using.
try a couple of pings.. open a cmd prompt by going to start>run then type in the box: cmd at the prompt type in: ping 127.0.0.1 then hit enter. you should get a reply. next type in your routers ip address: ping 192.168.X.X then enter,see if you get a reply from your router.
THANKS FOR THE HELP, both of you. I have a Comcast issued RCA broadband modem & linksys 4port etherfast broaband/DSL router. I did what both of you suggested on my faulty laptop. I logged on to my router's ip add and checked it out…seems fine to me ( I have 1 question but I'll ask at the end). Next I pinged the 1st ip add & got a response, pinged the router & got a response. All the while the network connection saying "low or no connection", then "renewing network address", then connected in a 20sec cycle. I've extracted the new driver file and ran the setup, but when I check the driver name in my device manager it still uses the same "compatible" driver that is defaulted in my laptop. I'm going to contact Dell about this. Oh and about the router, there's a setup tab for dynamic routing where I can choose working mode "gateway" or "router". It's currently set to gateway, shouldn't my router be set to "router" since I run the cable modem to the WAN input and the connection routes out to the 4 ports?
make sure your router is set up as per the documentation and your OS. at a cmd prompt type in: ipconfig/release then hit enter, then ipconfig/renew. have you been to linksys web site to check FAQ, they usually have loads of info.also at the prompt ping a website by typing: ping www.yahoo.com also ping a ip address. have you tried bypassing the router.
Got the connection to stabalize yesterday after my last post, now today it's acting up again. I was going through the zip file for the new ethernet card driver and found the update.exe. I booted in safe mode, ran the update, rebooted to my original mode and tested it out. The connection stuck. I thought I fixed it with the update. I repeated the same process I did yesterday today and even turned off my restore point before doing it, but now it's back to the on/off connection. I can't think of anything else but maybe have the update run during the startup, but I don't know how to program this. (Got a D in BASIC programing during college…HAHAHA)
Under safemode w/ networking my connection is stable. How do I find out what's programing my network controller to release and renew my IP address every 15secs. I've checked for virus/malware but can't find any with the 6 programs i'm using to protect my laptop.
Well.. its your DHCP .. its supposed to do that.. just.. I wouldnt set it to renew that quickly. It should be in your modem settings
Thanks Crow for the help. Now are you talking about the modem settings on my laptop? I'm using a router from my broadband modem to laptop and desktop, so my desktop is working fine but unsure how to change modem setting on laptop. I'll play around with it though.
no.. on the dsl modem. In order to change them.. you should have to type an address into the URL bar of browser..as an example.. http://192.168.0.1 should be how to change that. To change lease time find the DHCP settings and simply increase it.,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI