Whenever I start my computer (a Sony Vaio with Windows XP operating system), I recieve this message that says:
We apoligize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
It then continues giving me the choices of starting in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, and start Windows normally. After choosing every possible option, my computer proceeds to the Windows XP loading screen for approximately 3 seconds before restarting and going through the whole process again.
I know the problem has something to do with my ending the process explorer.exe through Task Manager before shutting it down the previous night. I had done this before without running into this sort of problem, but here I am in this situation.
*I would like to add that I am not the most understanding of computer dialect, and simple directions would be much appreciated, thank you.
By using the Windows XP CD to boot my computer, will it delete any files on the computer? I wish to solve the problem and then use system restore, but I can't even access that program at the moment.
Make sure that you fully understand the difference between the different methods of repair before going ahead.
If you have Imaged your drive using for example Ghost, Paragon, Acronis, Drive Image or the like then you can be up and running in about half an hour. If you have not made an Image then following the instructions in the article should enable you to get into Windows. Then make it a priority to take an Image of your drive so you will be protected for the future.
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI