I have done an amazingly STUPID thing!
without going into the whys and hows, simply put i Disabled the Display Drivers (do not use this device) for my video card (rADEON 9250 128MB DDR) in the device manager.
When i rebooted ….no picture on screen just black!! The harddrive is running fine and you can hear windows booting and opening but cannot see it.
I cannot believe i even did this!!!!
Is it possible to fix this incredible moment of stupidity?
Thanks
Lisa
try booting into SAFE Mode.
SAFE Mode uses only the most basic graphic display driver.
Once in SAFE Mode see if you can reverse your previous action.
To boot into SAFE Mode, restart your machine and immediately begin tapping F8 repeatedly until the Boot Menu appears. Select - SAFE Mode
Please keep us posted with your progress.
Best Regards
Should I take that to mean that repeatedly tapping F8 at reboot does not display the boot menu?
If you do get the menu selections, do you see "Last good configuration"?
Do you see "Enable VGA"?
I know… You would have tried it, but I'm asking anyway.
I've read a few threads via Google, related to this Blank Screen after disabling video with (do not use this device).
Searching for: (blank screen video driver disabled) yields a few Microsoft support links where people have tried various solutions with various results. Some have resorted to installing Windows to back up data.
Do you have valuable data/files that you need to preserve?
Do you have a second Hard Drive or a second computer?
You could install XP onto another Hard Drive, then install your current Hard Drive as "Slave" in order to retrieve and save your data/files to CD.
You could install your current Hard Drive into a second computer running XP, in order to retrieve and save your data/files to CD.
What a mess, that a single "click" choice could disable the machine in such a devastating way!
Wish I had the magic bullet solution for you.
Maybe someone else will.
Best Regards
thanks so much for trying to help.
I have 3 computers so i will have to probably resort to putting the hard drive in one of them.
(i knew i would have to!)
I think i was just hoping that maybe someone would know of a 'quick fix' to this amazingly stupid self inflicted error!.
If i put the hard drive in 2nd computer as slave, would it be possible to then go the device manager on the problem drive and re-enable the video adapter that way or would that mess with drive no 1's config????
I will also check out the links you mentioned.
Thanks Again
Lisa
If i put the hard drive in 2nd computer as slave, would it be possible to then go the device manager on the problem drive and re-enable the video adapter that way or would that mess with drive no 1's config????
I don't know and have never seen such an operation work. I wouldn't know how to go about doing that.
The question was asked in one of the links in google (using the search I recommended) but I don't think it helped that user.
I haven't given up hope that an Expert Member will come along with the magic solution for you.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI