This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Blank Screen After Turning on

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey guys, I have a HP m7580. It's a windows XP and it's about 3 years old. The graphics card is by NVIDIA however I don't know the model type since I can't see the details. What happened was that I was on the computer using a video editing program and then it just froze on me, so I put it into stand by, and started it again and nothing appeared on the screen. So I shut it down and it worked fine again, but then later on I pressed a button and the "Turn Off Computer" options appeared and I pressed escape and it went into stand by mode. Then after turning the computer on again, I get nothing but a blank screen. The computer runs fine, I'm able to turn off and restart the computer from the log in screen by just hitting tab and the arrow keys and then pressing enter, but I still get no display. The computer runs as usual, but the computer isn't giving out any visual. I've tried restarting it, putting it into stand by and shutting it down, but I still get the same results and have no idea what to do anymore. While looking up this issue online, I believe it might be the graphics card, but I don't know if it's busted or it might just be some software issue. Any help or information is appreciated, thanks ;)
Hi, Sorry to hear about the problem with your machine.
Here's a link to a spec for a similar machine……is this the same as yours?

http://www.ciao.co.uk/HP_Pavilion_Media_Ce…_2_GHz__6678743

1 Try to boot into safe mode…start tapping F8 once per second immediately after the POST Power On Self Tests but before Windows starts to load and then select Last good config from the menu ……..providing you can see one that is……
2 post back here and let us know how you go.
Regards
paws
Yes that's the model and machine. I tried constantly pressing F8 several times at different timings from when I turn the power on and get nothing. The TV and monitor just says it's getting no signal. It's not the HDTV because the original monitor it came with is getting the same results, just appearing as a black screen saying "No Signal"
Hi, 1 "No signal" …this usually means that the VDU is not connected…can you try a known working VDU and cable and see how you go? 2 Can you get into the BIOS or does the screen remain with nothing on it at all (other than "no signal" message. 3 Can you boot from your Windows Installation disc or a Linux disc? 4 Try to disconnect everything from your machine that is not essential……ie remove all discs CD/DVD's from their drive housings no USB or Firewire peripherals connected anywhere, no extra hard drives, VDUs TV.s etc disconnect your network cable (Internet) so that in fact you just have the main power wire, your Known good working VDU and connecting cable (test on another machine…it would be a shame it was a dud fuse link or power socket!) mouse and keyboard connection and nothing else at all and see how you go 5 You could also disconnect everything and take the Computer to a chum and plug it in to his working VDU if this is simpler. What we are trying to do is to establish if the problem is in the computer or elsewhere. Let us know how you go Regards paws
1. Yes I've tried it on 3 different VDUs. One of them says that the PC is in power save mode and the monitor is entering sleep mode while the computer is running. The other two just says no signal. 2. Negative, there is no display at all. Can't see anything but a blank screen once I press the power button. 3. I don't believe I have one 4. Main essentials are the only things connected now. 5. Yeah same results as number 1. Ever since I saw the monitor say that the computer is in power save mode…I'm wondering if the computer is almost half awake from stand by mode. Not only that, I can't get the computer to go into stand by or hibernation mode when it's turned on. It can only turn off and restart.
Hi, Yes it could be.
Its worth sticking a new one in (if you have some laying around, or can borrow a compatible one) and see how you go

Incidentally you can download a Linux Puppy 4.1.2 distro from here:
http://www.puppylinux.org/
when you get the iso, dont forget to burn it as an image….. its a jolly useful thing to have, it's small, lightweight (between 50 and 100 MB) and free and will automatically mount your hard drive. for you..
Regards
paws
Cool, another excuse to get a better graphics card ;) Thanks for your help and patience. Just wanting to know, but what would I use puppylinux for?
Hi, The Linux Puppy Live distro is a very useful tool, that is in constant use in the workshop, but for a home user it has 3 main uses: In explanation, Linux Puppy Live distro is a self contained operating system that runs in memory from a CD…..or even a thumb drive if you are crafty (That's what the "Live" bit means), so it doesn't need Windows at all, IE no need for a working copy of Windows XP, Vista or any earlier version of Windows. It is in effect an alternative to Windows and also has the advantage of being free (quite legally). Because Windows is fitted to the majority of PC's, folks are often unaware that there are different operating systems available….one of the advantages of Linux is that it is issued free under a general licence unlike some other operating systems (like Windows) that are charged for by their developers. 1 If a machine wont boot, then we need to know first off if its a hardware problem. or an operating system (Windows) problem…..if it is hardware then there's no need for us to spend time trying to alter Windows settings……. so first we try to boot from the Linux Live Puppy disc (altering the boot priority in the BIOS if necessary to facilitate this) if the machine works perfectly under Linux then we can be reasonably sure that the hardware is OK and so we start looking at the Windows operating system to try and identify the problem so that we can fix it. 2 If a machine won't boot into Windows even in safe mode, It can be a very worrying time. For Example When the machine won't boot up, no matter what you do and you realise that all your important stuff, (music, photos, work, address books and contact lists, emails, downloaded programs and all your Microsoft Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, data bases PowerPoint presentations and all the rest perhaps including the only draft of the book you have spent the last 3 years researching and writing or your PHd thesis) have all disappeared………… then we can try to boot into Live Puppy, mount the hard drive (Live Puppy does this automatically) and copy off the data to safe external media (its surprising that despite everything that has been written about the need for back ups, so few folks actually have an up to date accurate and reproducible back up of all their important stuff kept safe on removable media…… 3 Its a super way of becoming familiar with a different operating system…….without making any changes to the hard drive..that might affect Windows…its a way of learning and experimenting and finding out information in a no risk, or at least low risk way. There's lots of other things, but hopefully, the above will give you the idea. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI