This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Display driver not working - has recovered

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I received the above driver message a few times so went to the company site and downloaded the latest driver to desktop. After removing the old driver, I rebooted then installed the new one and rebooted. All seems fine without the error message. If I reformat and reinstall, I think I will have to repeat this but, recovering from an image I will not,correct?

I received the above driver message a few times so went to the company site and downloaded the latest driver to desktop.
After removing the old driver, I rebooted then installed the new one and rebooted.
All seems fine without the error message.
If I reformat and reinstall, I think I will have to repeat this but, recovering from an image I will not,correct?


I am not sure, what happen to cause you to recive that error message? Were you doing something, installing, playing a game or what not to get that message.

1. I would think if you lets say going to reformat and install that driver you are using now with no error message, then you should be ok.
2. Is something still bad causing you or forcing you to reformat your system? or just asking that in case you need to reformat?

Jimbo1
I hope you don't mind if I interject, No display driver is without fault. Every now and again you might get an error which forces the driver to restart, which is when you get an error like this. It's only a problem if it happens frequently.If you can reproduce the error when doing a specific task then we can track down the problem and advise you on how to fix it. (P.S By frequently I mean at least a few times a day, everyday)

I hope you don't mind if I interject,

No display driver is without fault. Every now and again you might get an error which forces the driver to restart, which is when you get an error like this.

It's only a problem if it happens frequently.If you can reproduce the error when doing a specific task then we can track down the problem and advise you on how to fix it.

(P.S By frequently I mean at least a few times a day, everyday)


Me mind, no way, As I always said, 2 minds uh make that 3 ;) are better than one :)

jimmy
To answer your question :D Clean Install you may or may not have a problem. Sounds more like something got corrupted so a Clean install will probably be okay. Image restore should not have any problem if the problem was not there when the image was created.
I understand and thank you all. I have more than my share of questions so try to use more than one forum. I also try not to ask more than one forum the same question. I have used the address I once found to send a donation but it was returned to me. I believe it was from the upper plains or north west. I truly owe many dollars for the tons of excellent support this forum has given me. I wish I had the knowledge to moderate as I have the time, being retired but my advice would shut the works down.

I wish I had the knowledge to moderate as I have the time, being retired but my advice would shut the works down.


Don't ever feel that way Peter, you may not think what you say would do any good or you can not help. That is not true. Any Advice is good no matter what, we all contribute to this board in a way, sometimes when we think we are not and we end up beating up ourselves because we think were not doing any good.

My eyes were just open to such a fact and each person here does help in their own little own way. Keep up the good work and help in anyway that you can, and may you have a good day. :thumbup:

Jimbo1
Thank you for the kind words. I think there are many others who would like to take the burden off of the very few and perhaps we will some day. :wavey:
I was hoping not to have to write this but that"display driver has stopped working and is recovering " has occurred today. That probably means it occurs about once a week to 10 days but it is the only one. I was told to use driver wiper or sweeper before installing a new one which was not done. I am having a hard time with this because I do not want to obsess and fix what may not be broken but then again it is a new pc Dell xps 8100 and I wonder if this should be happening.
Okay, lets delve a little bit deeper. Every time the display driver stops working, it gets logged. If I were trying to diagnose it myself, I would use Event Viewer to track down the problem. There is, however, a more user friendly way of getting to these log files and getting any relevant info. Just follow the steps below : 1. Go to your Start Menu 2. In the search box type "Action Center" and hit Enter 3. Click on "View problems to report" in the "Check solutions to unreported problems". 4. Search the list for the display driver failure. 5. For each entry, click the "View technical details" link 6. Copy and paste everything from within the box (Especially where it says 'Problem Signature'). Try to include the date and time too. My gut still saying that two driver resets in 10 days is nothing to worry about. But for peace and mind, we'll find a fix. (Note : Whilst updating to the most recent drivers is the usual advice, sometimes you have to 'rollback' to a more stable version. This is usually dependent on which graphics chip/card manufacturer is used.) Cheers, Nahumi
Dell is sending a tech over to replace the video card. I may add the Dell monitor is 5 years old which I told them ahead of time. At first they wanted to reformat and reinstall until I reported the Action center's findings- ee the attachment. That action center is something I have to study as it is tricky. I cannot at this moment put my finger on the Problem Signature -where is it?

Okay, lets delve a little bit deeper.

Every time the display driver stops working, it gets logged. If I were trying to diagnose it myself, I would use Event Viewer to track down the problem. There is, however, a more user friendly way of getting to these log files and getting any relevant info. Just follow the steps below :

1. Go to your Start Menu
2. In the search box type "Action Center" and hit Enter
3. Click on "View problems to report" in the "Check solutions to unreported problems".
4. Search the list for the display driver failure.
5. For each entry, click the "View technical details" link
6. Copy and paste everything from within the box (Especially where it says 'Problem Signature'). Try to include the date and time too.

My gut still saying that two driver resets in 10 days is nothing to worry about. But for peace and mind, we'll find a fix.

(Note : Whilst updating to the most recent drivers is the usual advice, sometimes you have to 'rollback' to a more stable version. This is usually dependent on which graphics chip/card manufacturer is used.)

Cheers,
Nahumi




>>>Thank you very much for putting me onto the action center where I found "hardware failure articulated for the first time..
You will read about it in my other post.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI