I have Windows XP on my Dell desktop. It got a bad virus, so I reinstalled it. Everything on the screen is huge so I thought the driver must need to be updated on the monitor, so I put the disc in and went to the monitor settings. It had it set as basic VGA. I disabled it, thinking I could then install the disk I have for the monitor. Now I have no monitor.
When I start the computer, it gives me Windows with the F2 and F12 options, then goes black.
I've tried doing narrator, blindly, but can't seem to get to it.
When I try to boot in safe mode, it gets to a certain point of lines and freezes and never goes to safe mode.
All I did was disable the monitor…. What can I do to get it fixed?
Hello,
When you first start the machine press F8 repeatedly until the advanced boot options menu is available.
Select Last known good configuration.
If this does nor work you can try selecting safe mode with VGA (or VGA mode)
Since you JUST reinstalled XP, you can always do another install, but try the options I just gave you first.
Once in to windows you can do a system restore to undo the changes that you made, or go in and change the settings back.
I tried Safe Mode and VGA and Last Known Good Configuration. Nothing works. Safe Mode starts running the lines and freezes. VGA goes to the blank screen. Lask Known Configuration goes to the blank screen.
Hi adasha
Basically you got to decide if a re-install is easier than the hazzle it would be in trying
to restore your PC. I don't know your computer skill, and how confident you are in using
the recovery Console. It can be done, but if you have no data on your HD, its hardly worth
it, and not at all a bullet-proof way of doing this. It is a last resort, when everything else
fails. So tell us your decision, and we go from there.
Regards
Ok. Guess what? I reinstalled, it worked fine, but installed my monitor as a generic monitor. I can't change the settings, so it has huge fonts and 16-bit color. I restarted the computer, and now the monitor is gone again!!!!!
HELP!!!!!
Try safe mode or safe mode with vga again.
Do you have another monitor that you can try.
What may be happening is that the signal is out of range for your monitor (even if that makes no sence).
The driver is incorrect, but tha basic driver should give you a display.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI