This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problem creating backup disc

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Dell Inspiron running Win XP pro. Was trying to create a backup of a folder on a DVD-rw that already had other stuff written to it previously. My Computer > D: then right-clicked and dragged the files to that window, got a message: "The file (filename) has extra info attached to it that might be lost if you continue copying. The contents of the file will not be affected. Do you want to copy the file anyway?" Answered yes with check in "repeat my answer each time this occurs" box. This created a "Files ready to be written to the CD" entry. Then clicked on "write these files to cd" but this failed due to insufficient disc space. Inserted another empty disc but get msg "there was an error in the writing process. The disc you have attempted to write may no longer be usable". Same msg with several other new DVD-RW and a CD-r. Tried to delete the temp files by clicking on the "delete the files that are waiting to be written" option offered by the wizard's error message screen but it says "cannot delete (filename): access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." Also tried to delete these temp files by clicking on "delete temp files" under My Computer>D: drive>CD writing tasks (on left side of this window): get msg "are you sure you want to delete temp files that are ready but have not been written to the CD", click YES, get same access denied message. I've closed all other windows, rebooted, but still can't get past this place. Any new DVD I put into the D: drive shows whatever files it has, as well as the file I was trying to copy under "Files Ready to be written to the cd", and this entry seems to not be deletable. When I try to move it to the recycle bin I get msg: "The folder (foldername) contains items whose name is too long for the recycle bin. Do you want to permanantly delete it?" Answer yes or yes to all". Again get same access denied msg. Don't know if this is a different problem, but in trying to get this to work I opened a brand new pack of DVD-R discs and get CD Writing Wizard msg: there is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writable cd into drive d. Also tried writing the files to a previously used CD-RW that I know has enough space on it and get a msg: there was an error in the writing process. The disc you have attempted to write may no longer be usable. One other thing: whenever I insert a disc that has something on it, Corel Photo Album 6 comes up, this came with my PC and the free trial (which I never used) has recently expired so it's a minimal feature version. Could this be part of the problem? I can't find where to assign another default pgm for pictures and haven't yet uninstalled the Corel because it's been useful in some ways though annoying in others. Thanks for your help!
Looks like I've found a solution, but not sure which change worked. I did two things : Went to C:\Windows\temp and deleted whatever it would let me delete Renamed the "files waiting to be copied" file to a shorter name, since when I tried to move it to recycle I got a message telling me that some items had names too long for the recycle bin, did I want to delete them permanantly. Then I tried to delete the "files waiting to be copied" and it worked. From there I was able to re-copy my files needing backup to the D: area and successfully wrote them to the disk. Sort of lends credence to the theory that if you have enough monkeys and enough PCs and enough localized time, you might actually re-create the complete works of Mr. Gates et al. Thanks to those who read through this for me.
Hi, Sorry to hear of the problems but congratulations on fixing it! Also thanks for letting us know that all is now OK Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI