Hello,
I hope I'm in the right place, if I'm not, I'm really, really sorry. I have Windows XP with sp3. I've been trying to do a "Back Up" of my computer for a while now but I keep having problems. I tried using the "back up" program that's on my computer (the windows one, I believe) but it only lets me save it on my hard drive and it won't let me put it on a disc or dvd. I tried getting a burner program that has back up on it (CD Burner XP and another I don't remember the name) but every time I try to use that it won't put the back up on the dvd either, it keeps saying that there is to much information to put on the dvd….instead of putting as much as it can on one dvd and then letting me put in another dvd and have it continue to put the rest of the back up on it. I downloaded that ERUNT program but that only backs up the registry and it only save it to my hard drive, too. The whole idea of wanting to do this is in case something happens to my hard drive(ex. virus, fire or whatnot) and if my hard drive gets wiped out. Do you know of any programs that are good and free that I can use to back up my computer, something easy to use? And if so, is there any way you could give me directions on what to do/how to use it? I've been using the computer/internet for quite some time but I really don't know anything about the technical side. I really didn't think doing a back up was going to be this hard………….
Thank you very much!
If I am understanding your goal correctly, you would like to create an image backup with which you could fully restore your computer's present operating system (XP SP3), plus your application software, plus your saved documents and files…. all in one location safely away from your computer to protect against future possibility of catastrophic loss due to virus infection or hardware failure.
I applaud you for thinking ahead and preparing a good safety net.
___________________________________
Thank you so much Doug,
I really appreciate the info. I have about 8-10 dvd+rw (they are still new, haven't been used) that someone gave me and I was planning on using those to put the back up on for now. I'm a little short on cash right now other wise I would get an external hard drive. But until I can afford one I'll just have to make due with the dvd's. Also, you are right, I'm looking for a program I can use to copy or back up my whole system. So, if something did happen then I can use the back up to restore my present state, including operating system (XP sp3) plus my applications, programs, saved documents and files. I had to learn the hard way and lost some valuable info before due to a virus so from now on I'd like to be prepared. Again since I'm short on cash right now I'll have to try the Macrium Software. Now I'm not to good with the technical side of computers so I will probably be back with some questions. Thanks so much again!
Hello again,
I have a quick question for you already and I haven't even started yet…..lol. Any way, I downloaded that ERUNT program about a week or so ago and it downloaded another program with it - NTREGOPT - ever since I downloaded those, it seems like my computer has been a little slower. I did all kinds of scans to make sure I don't have a virus or any thing. My computer isn't terribly slow - just a little slower. Since I will be using another program - the Macrium - can I get rid of the ERUNT & NTREGOPT programs? And, if I can get rid of them, could you please tell me the best way to do that? Should I just move them to the recycle bin or is there some kind of uninstall program I should use? Or should I go into the "Add and Remove" software - in the control panel ( I think)?
Thank you very much!
candi7
SEE the directions below to uninstall ERUNT.
Instead of add/remove I use the program removal tool in Revo which is a download. After downloading, click on tools, find ERUNT and follow the prompts. This will remove the leftover items from the registry and all of ERUNT - or just use the advice below.
The same applies to NTREGOPT.
When these are removed, download Macrium FREE.. It is straightforward. With external hard drive or other removable media in place, open Macrium. Click on backup entire or system.
Quick tip, when you see the word "advanced" click on it and select "intelligent copy" so the back up will be smaller in size. After it says 'finish', give it a date then hit proceed. When the backup is done, see the big red heart shape and hover your cursor over it. It will say verify your backup. Click on it and follow the prompts to verify.
Be sure to make the rescue disk it asks you to make and choose the Linus one which is easier.. To recover, tap F12, and select to boot from cd, hit enter with the rescue disc in the bay. The Macrium program will open and you can then recover your entire system.
Any questions, post back again for more help.
——————————————————————————————————-
ERUNT
Uninstallation
————–
Use "Add/Remove Programs" in Windows' control panel to remove ERUNT
from your computer.
Or, if you downloaded the zipped version: Delete the ERUNT folder,
delete the appropriate desktop icons.
(You may also want to delete all restore folders you have previously
created with the program.)
Peter1,
Thank you very much for the help. I actually have the CCleaner already on my computer and I did go ahead and use that to remove the ERUNT. Wow, that was really easy. When I uninstalled/removed the ERUNT with the CCleaner it automatically deleted/removed the NTREGOPT with it.
I have another quick question for you - I've been using the Ccleaner for a little while now but I've only been using the "Cleaner" part. I know when I used it before I also used the "Registry" part. The reason I haven't been using the "Registry" part is because there is a list of things on there - mainly - about 20 - Missing TypeLib Reference & about 37 - Missing MUI Reference an then there are a couple Unused file extentions ( .ics & .ima ) and an Obsolete software key (Wget) and an Old Start Menu Key (ERUNT). Do you think it would be alright if I went ahead and clicked on the "Fix Selected Issues" to remove those? I didn't want to do this without asking someone first (being that they are in the registry) so I didn't go messing up my computer?
Thanks so much again!
Hi, it is best not to use any form of Registry Cleaner unless you need to do so for a specific purpose or are acting under the supervision of an expert.
The Registry Cleaner within C Cleaner is of good repute..however what is it that you are wanting to clean …and why?
There is no requirement to run the Registry Cleaner as a prophylactic….
Regards
paws
candi7
Paws corrected me and rightly so as I confused 2 of my programs. I meant to say I use Revo uninstaller and said Ccleaner instead.
Revo does a good job of removing programs, moreso,I think than add/remove.
I never use a registry cleaner and am sorry for the dangerous misleading confusion. Ccleaner does have an excellent tool to prevent some unwanted programs from loading at startup.
Thank you Paws for the correction - sorry. Thank goodness for your keen eye.
Please note I correctd my post regarding Revo,not Ccleaner, and I hope I have not caused a problem for candi7!
candi7, are you running ok? Please read my corrected post re: Revo and NOT Ccleaner. Best intentions led to an error -apologies.
Thanks for the quick reply. Well, as I said before, I used the CCleaner - under tools and uninstalled/removed ERUNT! And it also removed/uninstalled NTREGOPT. I haven't removed or I haven't clicked on "Fix Selected Issues" under the "Registry" tab in Ccleaner, that's what I was asking if I should click on the "Fix Selected Issues" under the "Registry" option in Ccleaner. I was asking because I've heard and from reading some things on here is that its best not to mess with anything in the registry. But I've also heard that after time, with all those missing or broken things in the registry, they continue to add up and slow the computer down.
As of right now I seem to be running good but I haven't rebooted my computer yet and earlier my Spyware Terminator found a virus and from what it looked like it was in with or had something to do with that ERUNT & NTREGOPT program. I figured if I removed/uninstalled the ERUNT & NTREGOPT (since I'm not going to need it any way) that it would remove that virus. Which, I believe, is called FraudPack - 4400 but I just ran the Spyware Terminator and some of the files it was in before aren't showing any more but its still showing in a couple files. - File g:Windows\ERDNT\9-1-2010\ERDNT.EXE & File g:Windows\ERDNT\AutoBackup\9-1-2010\ERDNT.EXE. I believe those 2 files must be from when I downloaded the ERUNT program and it ran a scan. And I'm not sure where those files are or how to go about removing them. I ran the Malawarebytes and the Spybot but both of those came out clean, they didn't pick up anything. Not sure what to do now. Please help!
\Windows\ERDNT\ is the directory ERDNT writes it registry backups to.
No other program does what ERUNT does so I'm not sure why you uninstalled it. I still run it on my Windows 7 Pro X64 system. I like the comfort of having a complete backup of the registry in a place I can easily restore it from, even from the Recovery Console if necessary.
Mine is in C:\Windows\ERDNT\AutoBackup. I keep 30 days or so of backups since they don't take up a lot of room (about 100MB per backup instance).
If I were you, I would reinstall ERUNT and if you end up with NTREGOPT (you can chose not to install it) on the Desktop, just delete it and don't use it. It doesn't run in the background nor does it consume any resources.
Hello,
Well, I wanted a program that would "back up" my whole computer, not just the registry. I decided to use the Macrium software. Also, when I downloaded the ERUNT it also gave me a virus (Trojan). And it seemed to have slowed my computer down. Not sure if that was the program itself or from the virus. But, since I won't be using the ERUNT and because it gave me a virus I decided to usinstall/get rid of it. I figured why have something on my computer that I'm not going to use. I came across an article on here (What the tech site) about "backing up" and it suggested the ERUNT program and because I couldn't find anything else (programs) about backing up I downloaded that ERUNT program. I clicked the link for it and downloaded it. After words I realized that it only backed up the registry and not the whole system/computer. I then decided to write to someone here and ask if they knew of any programs that I could use to "back up" my whole computer/system (Operating System, applications, programs, files and documents). They suggested either the Macrium software or Acronis. Being that I'm short on cash I decided to go with the Macrium. Then I figured since I won't be using the ERUNT program and then realizing that it gave me a virus, or that's where the virus is, I figured I should uninstall/get rid of it. And now since I deleted the ERUNT program it got rid of most of the files that were infected except for 2 and I'm trying to find out how I can delete/get rid of them so I can get rid of this virus. Plus, I don't want to go and install it again and get the virus/Trojan back, especially when I won't be using the program. Is there any way you could tell me how to delete/get rid of those files I mentioned in my last post? Or actually, here they are again – File g:Windows\ERDNT\9-1-2010\ERDNT.EXE & File g:Windows\ERDNT\AutoBackup\9-1-2010\ERDNT.EXE. I believe they are logs or results of a scan from the ERUNT program. I would really appreciate it.
Thank you!
Hi,
Erunt is a good program of high repute…if you downloaded it from the correct source and it was the correct download then it would generally be considered safe and reliable.
As you are concerned about a virus it is best for your system to be examined by a Malware Fighter who will have the training and experience to diagnose and remedy any malicious elements that may be present on your computer.
Please follow this link http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388
and follow the instructions posting all the required logs in the Virus and Syware removal forum (not here in this subforum please)
Please include a link to this topic in the vrus and spyware removal forum so that the experts over there can see what has been going on.
Once you have run the appropriate scans please do not make any system changes or continue with your topic here until you have been advised by the malware removal expert that you are clear.
Regards
paws
candi7
I am in the first grade compaed to Paws and Ztruker. I know they will read this along with you. Follow Paws purging advice for your virus etc., first of all.
Secondly, I tried ERUNT and Ntergopal and I too had some issues way back when so I removed them..
I do not use them and am much better off with Macrium.
I think sometimes low level users like you and I, compared with paws and Ztruker, are better off with 'simple is better' like Macrium. I have used it 3x's to recover and it was flawless.
Ntergopal and ERUNT have their place with those who can handle them.
I am so happy to hear you used the uninstall feature of Ccleaner rather than the "fix issues" cleaner. I lost some sleep over that that is why I immediately revised + suggested Revo rather than the tools>uninstall part of Ccleaner. Reg Cleaners are dangerous for the novice like us.
Listen to them regarding your infection issues and you will have a smooth machine. Good luck and glad you did not pull the trigger.
Keep it simple.
There is no handling required for ERUNT. You install it and it creates a backup of your registry once a day when you boot. NTREGOPT (not Ntergopal ) comes with ERUNT but you can choose to not install it or not have an icon for it placed on your desktop. As Paws mentioned, It is not a virus in any way as long as it was downloaded from the correct location. Anything that flags it so is wrong.
Macrium Reflect is an excellent program for backing up your system and I'm very glad to see you are going to use it. Will you run it every day? Unlikely. That's why ERUNT or other methods of backing up can be useful.
Many problems that occur with XP, Vista and Windows 7 are due to some kind of registry corruption. It take about 30 seconds to run the registry restore (erdnt.exe) for the date you want to restore the registry to, then reboot to see if that fixes the problem. Doing a restore from Macrium (or any other backup program) takes quite awhile longer and restores everything on the drive/partition, including pictures, documents, E-mails, etc. If your last backup is two months old then you will lose two months of those kinds of files.
I am not saying that ERUNT is something you must have, but I don't want you to give up on it for the wrong reasons.
I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to backing up my data and system. I use Acronis TI 2010 to backup everything to a 2nd internal hard drive every night at 10:30PM. I also use Acronis to backup just my data (pictures, documents, E-mails, etc.) to the Acronis Online backup site at 7:30PM every night. Both of these are incremental so I have at least 10 different days I can go back to. In addition I also run a program called Mirror Folder which runs in the background all the time and backups up my data every 2 hours or so to another computer on my LAN. This is overkill but I have never lost a byte of data.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI