This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

antivirus software... how do you choose?

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm so frustrated. I used to swear by Norton Internet Security, but I had so many problems with installation that I switched to McAfee with the next computer. Well that didn't go any better because McAfee never recognized my license number as valid and made me validate with every update. After a billion emails asking for help and no way to talk to a live person, I dumped McAfee and went back to Norton. Norton installed fine in 2005 (2 years later), but now I'm frustrated all over again. I'm working on getting rid of a virus that got through Norton (and my settings are extremely conservative). When I went to support to ask why the software didn't detect it and how do I get rid of it, I get the response that virus removal is a "paid service" and that they can only address "software related problems." Okay, so I asked a software question that has been bugging me… why does Norton continually ask me if I want to allow access to things like IE when I put it in learning mode and answered ALWAYS ALLOW many times. Norton support tech says "sorry, I can only answer virus-related questions." If anti-virus companies are charging for any help related to removing a virus, then wouldn't they be incented to let some get through? How do I know which package is going to do me right? I'm willing to spend the money to stay protected, but too many different packages cause problems, too. I have Norton IS and Spydoctor right now and that wasn't good enough. What does it take?
Hi,
The bad guys certainly have something to answer for.
It is a problem when a virus or bit of malicious code gets through your defences and I can understand why you are feeling sore about it.
Norton and McAfee are both well respected products, but of course this is no consolation if you are having problems.
There is lots of information on how to protect your-self on the forums here, but as a quick answer try the following:

1 Check to make sure you have the latest virus/malware definitions installed before you go online.
2 Make sure your firewall is fully operational before you go online
3 Don't use your administrator account routinely to go online
4 Ensure your Windows operating system is fully updated and all critical and Office updates are installed
5 Check your Java, be sure it's updated to v7 and previous versions are uninstalled.
6 Don't open attachments to email without thinking carefully and then reviewing your decision.
7 Consider using the immunise feature in Spybot-S&D…update it first!
8 Don't use the preview pane to auto-view emails in Outlook Express
9 View emails in plain text rather than html
10 Consider alternatives to Outlook Express and Internet Explorer and finally be conservative where you click, attractive looking and free software downloads often come with unsavoury little friends attached to them!

Hope this helps,
By the way, I use the free versions of AVG and Zone Alarm for anti-virus and firewall
Regards
Paws
Paws, You bring up an issue I've been confused about. On my son's computer, we set up an admistrative account and then installed Norton. Then we set up an account for him. Norton will not check for automatic updates unless we sign onto the admistrative account (which is a real pain because it's his school laptop). Because of this problem keeping Norton updated, I set up our main account as the admin on our adult computer and Norton updates every time I turn it on. Am I doing something wrong? Your comment about not using administrative account as everyday use confuses me now.
Dont know if my two bob`s worth is any use to you BUT i use AVG(free) with ewido(free) and have spybot and adaware (both free) along with zonealarms firewall(guess what……FREE) AND im pleased to say that NOTHING gets on my pc……I also use some of the various ONLINE scans that are available at "Panda"or"pc pitstop" I have only been on the pc for meer months BUT have gathered to STAY well away from norton because they seem to create more problems than they fix… I also get regular online tests done that inform me my pc is invisable to most of that naughty stuff(i dont think ANY pc is totally impervious to the various bad stuff out there) I aint seen a virus OR suchlike for 4 of the 5 months i`ve been up and running AVG`s the one for the virus`s …not a hitch.. PS… OUT with IE & OE…..and IN with FF and TB……….you`ll never look back..(just my humble opinion)
Hi KathiMI1,

The recommendations of both Paws and Gee1, are worthy responses to your question.

In a Forum setting like this one, it is impossible to offer specific product recommendations with anything more than a testimonial assurance. Such as: "I use it and it works for me." Not very scientific, but remember that these Forums are Read by dozens of experienced and expert Members, Moderators, and Administrators. So if someone posts a false or misleading recommendation, it will almost certainly be corrected.

I, too, use AVG (free), Ewido (free), Spybot S&D - with Immunize, but not tea-timer (free) and Zone Alarm (free). In addition, I use SpywareBlaster and MVPS Hosts File as "passive blockers" of known bad sites. I regularly install that combination on machines after repair and malware removal work, as well as on new "out of the box" purchases for customers.

Over the years, I've used a small handfull of paid products:
Anti-Virus
McAfee
TrendMicro PC-cillin
Norton

AntiSpyware
Spyware Doctor
Counter Spy
Spy Sweeper

Of the Paid AntiVirus products McAfee and PC-cillin have served me well, but Norton has consistently caused a variety of intermittent and unexpected problems. In fact, a major source of problem related customer business comes to me from users who are having difficulty uninstalling a Norton that has caused them problems.

Of the Paid AntiSpyware, all three that I've listed have served me very well, though I say again, I most frequently use the above cited (free) products and have not had any infections or problems for many years.

I also use common sense and safe surfing as Paws recommends.
Of Paws excellent recommendations, you inquire about one: Limited User Accounts v. Administrator Accounts.
Here's my response to you.

(exerpted from a reply I wrote to another user in another thread) It is important to understand the distinction between "Limited User Accounts" and "Administrative Privilege Accounts".

Limited User Accounts have the ability to use any application program that is already installed on the machine; such as Microsoft Office, Outlook or other email client, Internet Explorer or other web browser, photo, music, and media display and editing applications, games, etc. The "limit" is that a "Limited User Account" cannot install new application programs, install many downloaded updates (firewall, MS updates, AntiVirus updates, Javascript updates) modify many areas of the Registry, or gain access to the Operating System, unless allowed by the Administrator. The "Administrator" account can do all the above, but can also install programs, modify the Registry, and gain access to changing the Operating System.

As a general rule, each machine should have only one "Administrator Account" and all other accounts should be "Limited User Accounts".

As a General Rule, all of us should be running our machine from a "Limited User Account" most of the time, and all of the time that we are logged onto the Internet, except when intentionally updating security and operating system files. Why? Because, in the ordinary course of computer use, various hazards and risks occur. If the owner/user is running from a "limited User Account" any "damage incurred" will be limited by the overall "privilege" of the Limited User account and any damage/error will remain restricted to that limited account in most circumstances.



So for instance, if an owner/user is "surfing the Internet" while logged onto their machine in a Limited user account, and runs afoul of some spyware, trojan or virus (by downloading, viewing or clicking) then the spyware/trojan/virus will be limited in its ability to "install itself" into the Registry and Operating System, because the malware enjoys only the privileges that it has gained from the limited user account. Of course, a Limited User Account, can still get "infected", but the infection will be stopped from advancing in many cases, because the Limited User Account does not have privilege to modify the Registry or to change the Operating System. Therefore, the "malware" may get saved in Temporary Internet Files or remain attached to a downloaded song or picture, but will not be able to do its work of additionally embedding itself into the Registry or Operating System. Pretty Neat, huh? (greatly oversimplified, but still good stuff to know)

If however, the owner/user is "surfing the Internet" while logged into the machine as Administrator, and then they run afoul of spyware/trojan/virus by downloading, viewing or clicking on infectious content, that malware will enjoy the same "privilege" that the Administrator Account has (full privilege) to install itself into the Operating System or modify the Registry, activating its malicious function or payload. Not Good!

Are there downsides?

Yes. When installing updates to MS Operating System, or Zone Alarm, or some AntiVirus upgrades, the owner/user will have to log off the computer and log back in as Administrator to perform those functions, and then log off and back on as Limited User to continue running applications or browsing the internet. An annoyance maybe, but well worth the price of safety.

And another: Some poorly written application programs may not be "fully functional" when run under Limited User Account. This is a simple fact of life with some software companies. For me, it is an opportunity to realize that using such software may not be in my best interest, and that it's time to search for a new/better mainstream application. I've done exactly that in all cases of applications that I use and you will probably be able to do the same.

How to change status/set privileges of User Accounts:

To “change” the attributes of a “user account” you have to be logged on from the Administrator account.
Go to - Control Panel
Click - User Accounts
Select the (usual named account that your use.
If it is already a Limited User Account, leave it that way.
If it is an Administrator Account…
Click on “Change my Account Type
Select “Limited User Account”

If a “Guest” account exists, turn it off (optional)

Windows will always "demand" that you have at least one Administrator Account, so you may want to create an account for that specific purpose, and name it Machine Admin (or whatever you'd like)

Let us know how you are progressing and if you have other questions.

Best Regards
Hi dough, I thought your explanations were absolutely superb. If you have no objections I would like to use your explanations of the "Admin/Limited Account" with my own customers, as sometimes I have difficulty in getting the message across effectively. Is this Ok by you? Regards paws
I'd feel honored. :)

However, there is always "alot more" to be said on any particular topic.
And as usual, Microsoft has decided to jump on the bandwagon with their own solution.
Their program is called: "Drop My Rights"
It is an add-on utility routine that kinda/sorta automatically does what I described.
However, the Microsoft "fix" has not been without its own problems.
So you can read about it, download and decide for yourself, here:
http://cybercoyote.org/security/not-admin.shtml
and more directly, here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default….ure11152004.asp

Windows Vista will incorporate much of this "reduced privilege" concept into the new operating system.

Bottom line: The owner/user is much safer running as a "Limited User Account" and the Microsoft "fix" may create more problems than it's presently worth, so I generally go with my written recommendation above.

Doug
Hi Dough, Thanks, and also thanks for the extra info' I did look at the "Drop My Rights" a couple of days ago but shuddered and quietly tip toed away! Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI