This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Problems running Microsoft Money on Wireless Network

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm trying to run Microsoft Money between 2 computers at home on a wireless network. I know that Microsoft doesn't support this as it can potentially lead to problems w/ the file. But it is supposed to work as long as you map the drive that you're saving the data on. Well, I've done this, and I am able to run Money on my laptop, but once I run it on my desktop computer, I get an error message the next time I try to access the file on my laptop and each time there after. It says, "Money cannot locate or cannot open, possibly because it is read-only or you don't have permission to change it or your drive is write protected." I never have any problems running it on my desktop computer by the way. Any ideas why this happens only after I try to open it on my desktop computer? Thanks
Hi, I've never experienced your situation since I don't run MS Money. So this is an "easy guess shot in the dark". If the file does become "read-only" when run on your Desktop, have you attempted to change the file attributes? in Windows Explorer, Right-Click on the file and select Properties. If "read only" is checkmarked, remove the checkmark and try again. Let us know how your are progressing with a solution. Best Regards
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I'm really at a loss on this one. File is not read only. I've run myself out of ideas as well. Any other thoughts? Thanks again
Actually, I just made some progress. Sort of. I looked at the properties of the network drive on my desktop computer (where the actual folder is) and read only is checked. I uncheck it, click apply, click OK to close it. Then when I go back and check properties again, the read only is checked again. I don't seem to be able to uncheck it. Actually, it isn't really checked. There are 3 choices when viewing it in the properties: You can check it, uncheck it, or the square filled in, which is what it keeps defaulting back to. THoughts?
I'm wondering if your Desktop is encrypting files saved in your UserAccount?

open Windows Explorer and right-click the folder. Choose Properties, click the Advanced button, and check (or UNCHECK) the box next to Encrypt (or UnENCRYPT) contents to secure data. Click OK twice;

I know, it's a long-shot idea, but this one has me straining. <_<


And here's yet another, perhaps longer-shot. :P
This is taken from a third-party site (QuickBooks) that intends to allow installation of it's program on more than one computer, using the resources of only one of the computers for the installation.

Seems to me that "some" of the steps might be appropriate for you to investigate, so here ya go.
Here's the source of see excerpt below: http://www.quickbooks.com/support/faqs/qbw2003/118908.html
To share a CD-ROM drive:

From the computer with the CD-ROM drive, double-click the My Computer icon on the Microsoft® Windows® desktop.
In the My Computer window, select your CD-ROM drive.
From the File menu, choose Properties.
On the Sharing tab of the Drive Properties window, select Shared As. In Microsoft® Windows® 2000 or Microsoft® Windows XP, select the Share this folder option. If you do not see the Sharing tab in the Drive Properties window:


In Microsoft® Windows® 95, 98, or Microsoft® Windows NT®, you will need to enable file and printer sharing on your computer:
Click the Microsoft® Windows® Start button, choose Settings, and then choose Control Panel.
Double-click the Network icon.
In the Network window, click the File and Print Sharing button, and then select the sharing options you want.


In Microsoft® Windows Me or 2000:
Click the Start button, choose Settings, and then choose Control Panel.
Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections, right-click your connection icon, and then choose Properties.
In the Components checked are used by this connection section of the Local Area Connection Properties window, verify that File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is selected.


In Windows XP:
From the Windows desktop, double-click the My Computer icon. (If the My Computer icon is not on the desktop, open the window by choosing My Computer from the right side of the Start button.)
In the left side of the window under Other Places, right-click My Network Places, and then choose Properties.
From the Network Connections window, right-click the Local Area Connection icon you use to connect to the network, and then choose Properties.
In the Local Area Connection Properties window, locate File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. If it is not listed, you can install it by clicking the Install button in this window.

Enter a name for the shared drive in the Share name field.
Click OK to close the Properties window.



I sure hope you post back with your solution when you do get this figured out. :)
Best Regards
Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI