This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

computer doesn't start

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm trying to fix Grandma's computer. It starts up like usual, but the screen comes up black. No background, icons or taskbar, just the cursor. Stays like that for hours, have to shut off manually. The next time I try to start it, since it was not shut down properly, I'm asked which mode I want. I have never been able to start this computer in safe mode. All I get is a black screen with safe mode in the corners and I have to shut down manually. Never tried safe mode with command prompt to see if that works. She runs winxp, and its a hand me down, so there are no installation disks available. Please help! She's just had a new great-grandchild and SHE NEEDS HER EMAIL!!! Cappy
Yes..I had exp that before.. But I dont know if this could help your computer Did you check your Disk Rom ? If you forgot to remove your disk inside your computer, the WinXP wont start. Just dont leave a diskette inside your computer coz thats makes the windows wont start. Well thats my solution earlier dont know bout yours.. Best Luck Eumic
Nope, no disk. I gave it to a high school kid to look at. If he can't fix it, he'll just reload windows and she'll be good to go. I hope. Cappy

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI