This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Start Up Problems

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer looks like it is starting up in safe mode but it's not. I have no mouse or barely any keyboard usage. I have huge icons and a monochrome looking background. I have run norton, window washer and xoftspy and I am still having the problem. I can start up in safe mode but I'm stumped. Can someone please help. Thanks
With the symptoms you've described, you could be dealing with missing or corrupted System Files, or more likely, a malware infection.

Boot into SAFE Mode and run System File Checker:
Start - Run - (type) sfc /scannow
This will cause Windows to examine all system files and replace any that are missing or corrupted.

What Operating System are you running?

If Win2K or XP then reboot into SAFE Mode plus Networking.
In that Mode, try going online to run online malware scans at:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/ac….asp?Language=2

Save the logs from those scans and include them in your next post here.

GoTo:
Control Panel - Add/Remove and read through the list of installed software.
If you are able to identify any items that you are certain should not be there, consider uninstalling them.

GoTo:
System Configuration Utility
Start - Run - (type) MSCONFIG
Select the StartUp Tab
look through the items that are running at StartUp for any that you are certain are unnecessary or which should not be running. Uncheck any such items.

Our goal here is to get a successful boot into Normal Mode where you can run further scans that might lead to a better understanding of your current situation and assist us with a course leading to solution.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI