This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP freezes at startup

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Windows XP computer, SP3. No recent hardware are software installs before the problem occurred. The desktop is connected to the internet though is hardly ever used to go online. One day the computer was turned on, Windows XP began to start up and froze on the start up screen. I could enter safe mode, tried system restore. No change, ran chkdsk and a virus scan from safe mode. No change. I have the windows key for the software but not the actual disk. I have a Windows XP disk from another computer that I tried inserting and restarting the computer from. I was not asked to boot from the CD and after freezing on the start up screen again the screen goes blank. When restarting without the CD I am no longer able to enter safe mode. Either the screen freezes on the start up screen again or goes black. Short of buying a new hard drive and starting over I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks!
Desktop, with a floppy drive. There are times when if I start up without a Windows disc it will get through the start up page. Go right to chkdsk, reboot and freeze at start up again or go black after start up.
It seems that your video, CPU and (probably) your motherboard is OK and a faulty disk drive wouldn't stop your computer booting. Apart from trying my original suggestion, I would suggest fitting (or have fitted for you) are new hard-drive if you think the computer is worth it, as i the it does sound like it might be feeling it's age and is probably still running the original HDD.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI