Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Systemuptodate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 todders

todders

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:06 AM

I know this problem has been raised before. My father (aged 75) spends most of his retirement time on his PC. I'm really proud of the way he has taken to it after a lifetime as a bricklayer. Now his PC has been infected by some vandals and he can't use it. He had the 'PestTrap' problem, which I think I have solved by uninstalling it. However, he still has a problem in that IE is constantly redirected to a 'systemuptodate' url. I need to go and visit him to solve this problem as he does not have the technical skill to do it himself. I would really appreciate a set of instructions that I can take with me to his house at the weekend (what a way to spend my birthday!). I am reasonably technically proficient but this out of my league. I am unlikely to be able to engage in an interactive dialog with you guys as we're in the UK. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:43 AM

Here's an intro information piece on Pest Trap.
http://www.geekstogo...?catid=1&id=875

Then Removal instructions, here:
http://www.geekstogo...aud-t91731.html

Since this is CoolWebSearch related item of the Smitfraud variety, it is likely that other malware could have invaded as well.

Be sure your Dad has:

Updated his Operating System (Windows XP updated to SP2 plus critical updates, for example)
A good two-way Firewall like the (free) Zone Alarm. (no need to purchase their paid product)
A good Anti-virus (The (free) AVG from Grisoft will be just fine)
A couple of good Anti-Spyware utilities (Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware will be fine)
A good Blocking Tool (SpywareBlaster is excellent from javacoolsoftware.com)
Consider MVSP Hosts File (http://www.geekstogo...aud-t91731.html)

Be sure he is logging onto his computer as a "Limited User Account"
Because, if he is logged in as Administrator, then malware will have "privileges" to install, change the registry, and change features of the OS.

Since you will be physically present, consider running a HJT Log and post it for review by a Trusted Advisor.

Now might be a good time to review some Malware precaution information.
The Columns at PCPitstop.com are excellent for this purpose, as is their Safe-Surfing CD ($14.95)

Why do you thinks you will not be able to have an interactive dialogue with this Forum when you are at your Dad's home?

Don't hesitate to post with additional questions as you progress in your work on your Dad's machine.

Best Regards

Edited by dough, 30 May 2006 - 09:48 AM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 todders

todders

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:59 AM

Thanks Dough. I appreciate your help. I thought the time difference would be the problem on the interactive bit. I'd like to get this thing done Saturday morning when the guys in the US should be asleep.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:12 AM

Hi Todders, You're right. We're all a bunch of sleepy-heads over on this side of the pond. :P But you never know. You might just get a reply that you need. My Home Forum is PCPitstop.com We have more "traffic" in our "user to user" Forum than normally occurs here at TC in "other computer problems". And there are alot of competent Aussie Members who are up and awake when we here in the US are off in the land of nod. You might want to sign up there, as a back-up resource for your problem solving. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.