This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Systemuptodate

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I know this problem has been raised before. My father (aged 75) spends most of his retirement time on his PC. I'm really proud of the way he has taken to it after a lifetime as a bricklayer. Now his PC has been infected by some vandals and he can't use it. He had the 'PestTrap' problem, which I think I have solved by uninstalling it. However, he still has a problem in that IE is constantly redirected to a 'systemuptodate' url. I need to go and visit him to solve this problem as he does not have the technical skill to do it himself. I would really appreciate a set of instructions that I can take with me to his house at the weekend (what a way to spend my birthday!). I am reasonably technically proficient but this out of my league. I am unlikely to be able to engage in an interactive dialog with you guys as we're in the UK. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Here's an intro information piece on Pest Trap.
http://www.geekstogo.com/comments.php?catid=1&id=875

Then Removal instructions, here:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-remo…aud-t91731.html

Since this is CoolWebSearch related item of the Smitfraud variety, it is likely that other malware could have invaded as well.

Be sure your Dad has:

Updated his Operating System (Windows XP updated to SP2 plus critical updates, for example)
A good two-way Firewall like the (free) Zone Alarm. (no need to purchase their paid product)
A good Anti-virus (The (free) AVG from Grisoft will be just fine)
A couple of good Anti-Spyware utilities (Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware will be fine)
A good Blocking Tool (SpywareBlaster is excellent from javacoolsoftware.com)
Consider MVSP Hosts File (http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-remove-SpyAxe-SpywareStrike-SpySheriff-Winhound-Smitfraud-t91731.html)

Be sure he is logging onto his computer as a "Limited User Account"
Because, if he is logged in as Administrator, then malware will have "privileges" to install, change the registry, and change features of the OS.

Since you will be physically present, consider running a HJT Log and post it for review by a Trusted Advisor.

Now might be a good time to review some Malware precaution information.
The Columns at PCPitstop.com are excellent for this purpose, as is their Safe-Surfing CD ($14.95)

Why do you thinks you will not be able to have an interactive dialogue with this Forum when you are at your Dad's home?

Don't hesitate to post with additional questions as you progress in your work on your Dad's machine.

Best Regards
Thanks Dough. I appreciate your help. I thought the time difference would be the problem on the interactive bit. I'd like to get this thing done Saturday morning when the guys in the US should be asleep.
Hi Todders, You're right. We're all a bunch of sleepy-heads over on this side of the pond. :P But you never know. You might just get a reply that you need. My Home Forum is PCPitstop.com We have more "traffic" in our "user to user" Forum than normally occurs here at TC in "other computer problems". And there are alot of competent Aussie Members who are up and awake when we here in the US are off in the land of nod. You might want to sign up there, as a back-up resource for your problem solving. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI