This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Access denied on my own shared documents folder

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This is strange. I no longer have access to the shared documents folder. When I try to access the folder I get the following message. "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents is not accessible Access is Denied" I am using Windows XP Home. Can anyone help?
Are you logged in with a "Limited User Account" or with an "Administrator Account"? You can find this information in Control Panel - User Accounts Best Regards
Ran the suggested commands and it appeared that they did what they were designed to do but the result was the same. Still denied access. I did just notice something strange though. Where the Shared Documents folder used to be named Shared Documents it is now named just "Documents". Not sure where to go from here. Thanks for any help offered.
Hi cjo11us,

The more I read about this problem, the more mysterious it seems to get.
Here's a beginning column with links, describing the problem and some proposed solutions:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jmazner/archive/2005/01/29/363160.aspx

This seems to be the "most promising" set of solutions proposed by a MS-MVP
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/37/1…umentsquot.html

And the "most specific" solution from an MS-MVP is posted here:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sdperms.htm

Nobody seems to understand how the "problem" is originally caused in the Windows Shell, but the fixes seem to work.

I haven't tried out/tested any of these linked solutions, but I generally trust fixes proposed on Microsoft source pages, especially when written by an MS-MVP who doesn't work for Microsoft.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI