This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Directory access denied

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am running windows xp. When I attempt to see the contents of C:/documents and settings/doug, it returns an access denied message. When I right-click for properties, it shows as read only. I uncheck the read only, apply, close, and recheck the folder with the same results. When I check properties, it is again indicated as read only. The response is the same whether in normal or safe mode and even when logged in as administrator under safe mode.
I think it has me on the right path. At one point, that folder was under a user that had applied a password. Even though the password has since been removed, it appears to have left some of the security elements. The article you provided gives some explanation, but it's instructions on how to clear don't appear to be specific to XP home. I have found that I can gain access if I log in under that user profile. It just seemed that I ought to be able to do it from a administrator log in. Thanks for the help. You can close this topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI