Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Video card suggestions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pacer

Pacer

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:01 PM

I'm a owner of a HP Pavillon a1250n box, it comes with a ATI Radeo Xpress 200 card. I want to upgrade....but unsure of what would be the best fit. For reference sake I'm looking to play games like Half-Life 2. I'm not trying to break the bank but I also don't want to cheap out. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Max Deaton

Max Deaton

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Games, 3ds Max, Photoshop, a little bit of flash...

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:19 PM

I have a ATI Radeon 9550 in my machine and it runs CS source and Half-Life 2 Death match, with the resolution all the way up, perfectly...The reason this chip runs them so nicely is because I also have a 64-bit AMD Athlon 3700+, and ATI are more compatable with AMD processors...When I comes to games with more special effects like DOOM 3, I have to turn the resolution way down, turn the special effects down, and turn off the bump map, and it's pretty much not even DOOM after I do that...If you're planning on supporting a game like DOOM, you better have a little bit of extra money...On the other hand Half-Life 2 is a little cheaper to support than DOOM, you could probably support it, and get the full effect of the game, if you spent about 200 or so dollars on a nice graphics card, but this still depends on your CPU...If you have a HP more than likely you have a Pentium, probably a Pentium IV, if it is a 4.0 then you would have no problem running Half-Life 2 with a $70-100 graphics card, but if you have a 3.0 you might have to spend a little bit more...I would suggest getting something with a NVIDIA chipset...What slot is that graphics card you already have in, AGP or PCI...Sorry I couldn't be a little more specific but I don't really know what other hardware you have...But if you do get something I would try and make sure it is Open GL 2.0...