This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

IP Addresses?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I haven't had my computer on for about 3 days, and today when I booted up, my network connection seemed to be hijacked … I think. Anyways, I couldn't connect to my local DSL provider, but I was able to check the properties of my network connection and the IP address was completely different than the one I know I am supposed to be connected to. The IP address was 169.254.237.245 and the subnet was 255.255.0.0 … now is there a program that would tell me who that IP address belong to? just curious as to how that got changed. I reset my DSL modem and ZoneAlarm Security Suite and refreshed my IP address to get back to my normal connection. Any ideas would be helpful …thanks. :scratch:
Thanks for responding. One other quick question … is there a program that would tell me who owns that IP address? Could it have come from a website that tried to attack me? I am at a loss as to how my IP address was changed (my NIC configuration) without me knowing … still :scratch: trying to figure it out …
DNS STUFF

I can't find the link to the one I used to use all the time…

But that one is cool. :thumbup:

Paste the IP address into the IPWHOIS Lookup box, then click WHOIS

In some ways this link is better that the one I used to use… More "stuff""…
:)

P.S….

This is the info it gave for the IP address you posted:

OrgName: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
OrgID: IANA
Address: 4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
City: Marina del Rey
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 90292-6695
Country: US

NetRange: 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255
CIDR: 169.254.0.0/16
NetName: LINKLOCAL
NetHandle: NET-169-254-0-0-1
Parent: NET-169-0-0-0-0
NetType: IANA Special Use
NameServer: BLACKHOLE-1.IANA.ORG
NameServer: BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG
Comment: Please see RFC 3330 for additional information.
RegDate: 1998-01-27
Updated: 2002-10-14

OrgAbuseHandle: IANA-IP-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Number
OrgAbusePhone: [removed]
OrgAbuseEmail: *****@iana.org

OrgTechHandle: IANA-IP-ARIN
OrgTechName: Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Number
OrgTechPhone: [removed]
OrgTechEmail: *****@iana.org

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2006-05-15 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

Micah … Thanks again for your kind help. As you may know, I am learning (just starting actually, not enough time to read everything just yet, but will find it soon …) and I want you to know that I appreciate your time and help. I do remember from another forum about some program that could tell you something about who owned the IP addresses, but I can't find that link either … oh well, what you have provided is interesting and I will still work on how that particular problem came about. God Bless!!
Thanks Micah …the program is exactly like the one you used before. It told me the same thing … oh well …I'll get to the bottom of it someday … :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI