Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

strange ip address connecting to computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 angry elephant

angry elephant

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:15 AM

Hi. I noticed a while ago that when I first connect to the internet that my internet connection lights up. I checked it on my firewall and it seems to be the same IP address each time "72.249.47.77" connecting through port 80. I tracked this IP address using ip-adress.com and it turns out to be somewhere in Texas. I am not located anywhere near America so I have no idea why this IP is connecting to my computer. I would be grateful for any help, thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hi , welcome to WhatTheTech. A nslookup of that IP returns ns1.inputsafe.com. This is associated with McAfee Security Suite.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 angry elephant

angry elephant

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:54 AM

Hi. Thanks for the post. When you say ns1.inputsafe.com is associated with McAfee Security Suite does that mean only McAfee Security Suite because I do not have any McAfee products installed. I have reinstalled windows since I last had any McAfee products installed. Bing live search is the search engine that my internet explorer is currently using. Could it have anything to do with it, mayby it's checking up with McAfee site advisor?

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:13 AM

My error, McAfee Site Advisor, not suite.

Rich

#5 angry elephant

angry elephant

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:06 AM

I don't have siteadvisor installed but I guess that something else on the computer may use it. Like Bing as I mentioned. Do you think that would make sense? To confuse matters when I connected today IE connected quickly to a different IP address, this time it was a microsoft IP address rather than the one mentioned above and I don't have automatic updates on. On the bright side they don't seem to be malicious sites.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

I believe by default IE goes to msn.com. What is your home page set to?

Rich

#7 angry elephant

angry elephant

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:22 AM

My home page is set to blank so I don't think that is the problem and it was only the one time that IE connected to the Microsoft IP address. Today and most days at the very first connection to the internet my firewall detects a brief connection to the IP address posted above "72.249.47.77". Also it does say that it is IE that is connecting. It does not actually load up a web page only the firewall detects anything. IE loads by default when I connect to the net. I might change my search provider from bing to something else and see what happens.

#8 angry elephant

angry elephant

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

Changing the default search provider from bing to google did not change anything, but as the site does not seem to be malicious and it is not causing any problems I will just leave it for now. Thanks.

#9 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

Do you use a program called KeyScrambler?

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroon
If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg
Curiosity didn't kill the cat. Ignorance did, curiosity was framed.
Learn how to protect Yourself

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days.

#10 angry elephant

angry elephant

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:46 AM

Yes I do. Do you think that this is causing the issue?

#11 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:46 AM

Yes I think it phones home

There was registered attempt to establish connection with the remote host. The connection details are:
Remote Host Port Number
72.249.47.77 80

The data identified by the following URL was then requested from the remote web server:
http://www.qfxsoftwa...ler/version.xml

http://www.threatexp...aa6df5a7ce5a834

If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#12 angry elephant

angry elephant

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:19 AM

Thanks for that. Is Keyscrambler phoning home for legitimate purposes or are there security/privacy issues that I should be worried about. The program was recomended by a trustworthy site.

#13 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

The ThreatExpert link I posted shows a very low securiy risk.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#14 angry elephant

angry elephant

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

OK. Thanks for the help. I did check the link but it was a bit technical.