This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

SP2 failed attempt at install

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

Compaq Presario
XP Home SP1

Trying to install SP2, gets as far as more than half way through installing Microsoft Windows Updater 3.1 and fails. Error Code 0x8007005 . Tried this in Windows Update and also from the CD, no go. Tried it in Safemode with Networking , signed on as Admistrator, same thing, failed attempt with both the Windows Update and the CD. I have cleaned up this gals computer pretty well, it was infected with CWS and Smitfraud, I removed them both and the HJT log looks clean, it has been analyzed by myself and the infections removed.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Ken
Hi Ken,

Sometimes SP2 balks at installing if all the SP1 updates are not already downloaded. I know that sounds "counter-intuitive", but then again, if a prior update got installed that caused a glitch, and then a follow-up update has a patch, the patch may help smooth the SP2 install.

System .dll's get "un-registered" sometimes when a machine has a problem. and maybe happened during the infection you've fixed?

I sure don't know the why's of it but there are frequent recommendations to re-register specific .dll's
here's an example: (source is an unverified post by a user at dslReports who I do not know and can't verify): http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11026330~mode=flat)

I clicked on START and then RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on OK.

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

ONE LINE AT A TIME >

then re-ran windows update within IE and all was fixed. This problem DOES NOT exist if you have your computer set to AUTOMATIC UPDATES.



Also, SP2 doesn't like to install unless Automatic updates are set to Automatic.
Automatic update is available at:
My Computer…Properties…Automatic Updates.
It can be set to be Off, to Notify, to Download only, or to do everything Automatically.

I sure hope you will post with your progress, as this is an important piece for all of us to learn about.

Best Regards

EDIT: If none of the above helps, you might conside System File Checker to get any SP1 missing or corrupt files replaced.
Start - Run - (type) sfc /scannow

If that doesn't work, you could consider an "over-the-top" reinstallation of XP and then move on to install SP2. (I'd hate to see you have to do this last alternative)
Here's some additional hints and tips I've saved regarding problems with SP2 installation:
here's the source:
http://castlecops.com/postx106642-0-0.html

(I don't get too worried about "registering .dlls in these lists, since your machine won't register it if it isn't there)


You can try these before applying SP2

BITS/WUS Not WorkingSolution (BITS/WUS is Background Intelligent Tranfer Service/ Windows Update Service)

#1. Make sure that BITS is Started and Automatic
2. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader <—– Delete the entire folder
3. Do the following:
Click Start.
Click Control Panel.
Double-click Internet Options.
Click Delete Cookies and click OK.
Click Delete Files and put a checkmark in delete all offline content and click OK.
Click Settings, click View ObjectsDelete all the objects in this folder. If some objects cannot be deleted, please restart the computer and try again.
Click the Security tab,
Click Internet and click Default Level.
Click the Custom Level button. Click Enable" for all under the title ActiveX controls and plug-ins.
Click Enable for all under the title Scripting.Click OK.
Click the Privacy tab, and click Default button.
Click the Advanced tab, click the Restore Defaults button and then uncheck the Enable third-party browser extensions option.Click OK.

Click Start > Run > type cmd and then click ok
In the command prompt type the following:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll
REBOOTSolution

#2Start/Run then the following –
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

REBOOT

Edit: Oh, yeah…

Disable your auto-start apps: (maybe too obvious, but sometimes the obvious is overlooked. :) )
Turn off all the programs running in the background on your system, including your antivirus program, spyware monitors, screen savers, and system utilities.
They may throw SP2 for a loop.
Download WinPatrol, a free tool that temporarily disables background programs. Once everything's off, install SP2 and then use WinPatrol to re-enable the programs.
If you have a finicky PC, Microsoft advises you to boot your system in Safe Mode before installing SP2 (not a bad idea).
To get to Safe Mode, press F8 just before Windows loads.
dough, Thanks for your reply, I found alot of the info you posted on the internet, but unfortunaly, nothing works. I followed all the tips you posted and still a no go. The problem seems to be with the Microsoft Windows Installer , it just wont take it. I tried to install Norton AV 2006 and it said that the Windows Installer was needed, do you want to install it, said yes and that failed also. I even found an updated windows installer, renamed msi.dll to msi.old and installed the newer version , still no go. I have MSI.DLL on my system and its version 3.1.4000.2435, copied it to her %windows% folder , asked me if I wanted to overwrite the older one, said yes, it copied to that folder, but it was still the older version 2.0 xxxxxx. Cant figure this one out. Been advised by a few people in the know to just reformat and reinstall windows. If the gal has the disk, I just may do that. Thanks again, Ken :D
"If"…… I sure wish we didn't even have to deal with that consideration. This whole notion of pre-load with D:\ OS backup, is in my opinion a bad idea. You probably already know that an owner is entitled to ask the manufacturer for a hard copy CD of the operating system, which usually comes with a fee of about $9.00 US. The Disk is usually just the XP version, but not the drivers, which can usually be obtained online at the manufacturer's website. I generally recommend that owners go ahead and get the disk whether or not they think they need it at the moment. Sorry the aggravation continues. Seems like it's a problem for many many users. I concur with the recommendation you've received from "people in the know". Best Regards
dough, :D

Thanks for you help and for the time you put into the replies.




Micah_6:8,

I was unaware of the File Protection program, BUT I AM NOW :D



Lets see how it goes, I wont see this gal until Monday and she is going to bring me all the disks that came with her system I will reply back on my progress.

Ken :D
Micah,

Wow! What a resource. Thanks very much for posting that information/link.

Embedded in the article you directly linked is an additional link to a discussion of System File Checker (sfc scannow) http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

In that linked article are answers to many situations I've faced when the owner/user has no installation CD as well as a well written description of sfc and important system resources for getting it to work.

Again, many thanks to Micah!

Edit: Maybe I should go search to see if it already is, but is there a chance you could make the above linked sfc article one of the listed resources in the Classroom?
Hello Everyone, :D

This issue has been resolved, :thumbup: here is another tool for your toolkit. SP2 finnaly installed as well as 44 addtional updates, I was even able to install Norton AV 2006 which previously failed on account of the same issue.

Here is the reply I got back from Microsoft , they replied in 24 hours. It was evidently a problem with permissions being denied to write to certain folders and in the registry. I am attaching the file for anyone that wants to download and keep it for future problems.



Dear Ken,



Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support Service. My name is Andy, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for this service request is You can contact me directly by writing an email to [removed] with the case ID in the subject line.



From your description, I understand that when installing Service Pack 2 (SP2), an error message "Access Denied" is received.

If I have misunderstood your concern, please do not hesitate to let me know.



I understand the inconvenience this issue has caused. Please be assured that I will try my best to assist you in resolving this issue.



Generally, this type of installation issue can occur if the current user account does not have the correct permissions to access related folders and registry keys. I suggest we first perform the following steps to install Windows XP SP2. If the issue also occurs, I will continue working closely with you to resolve the issue.



I suggest we first try the steps below to reset the default permission on those folders and registry keys, which will be accessed when installing SP2:

1. Save the attachment of the email to your Desktop.

2. Right click on the "Reset_subinacl.ZIP file" and choose "Extract"

3. Follow the instructions to extract the files to your Desktop. There will be two files (reset.cmd and subinacl.exe) extracted.

4. Double click the reset.cmd file

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

(Note: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will receive a message stating "Finished, press any key to continue".)



After the above steps are finished, please, download the full installation package of Service Pack 2 from the following website and save it to C:\ (The root folder of partition C):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…&displaylang;=en



Next, restart the computer in Safe Mode using the following steps to have a stable environment to install SP2:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

(Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer.)

Go to C:\ to find the full installation package file, which you just downloaded, and then double click the file to initialize the installation.



Collect Information

Is SP2 installed successfully? If not, please follow the steps below to capture a screenshot if there is any error message.

1. Press PrintScreen (PrScrn) to capture a screenshot.

2. From Start, click Run, enter MSPAINT in the Open box, and then click OK.

3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screen shot to the canvas.

4. From the File menu, go to Save and save as a JPG file.

5. Send it to [removed] as an attachment.



Then, please send me the SP2 installation related log files:

1. Click "Start", "Run", enter "%windir%" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

2. Locate the files Svcpack.log and Setupapi.log in the opened folder.

3. Please send them to me at [removed] for further research.



Please try the above steps and inform me of the results at your earliest convenience. If anything in my email is unclear or you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.



Thank you for your time. I am standing by for your reply.



Best regards,



Andy Zhao

[removed]

Microsoft Windows Support Professional


Hope you find this interesting.

Ken :D



Customer Satisfaction is my top priority. Please let either myself or my manager know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback to Microsoft Management at mailto:[removed]?subject=WindowsOnlineSupportIncident or directly to my manager, Tom Ge at [removed] mailto:[removed]

📎Reset_Subinacl.zip
Do you still have this file "Right click on the "Reset_subinacl.ZIP file" and choose "Extract"". Or do you know where I can I get it? Thank you

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI