This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unable to Update to Win7sp1

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,
 
I'm not having much luck with trying to install Win7 Sp1 update on a friends netbook.
I get the following errors: ERROR_INVALID_DATA(0x8007000d) with the stand-alone installation and 800705AA with windows update - so far I have tried the following:
 
  • Factory restore the computer
  • Cleared junk files & ran win update - Selected SP1 only for installation
  • Tried to install SP1 in clean boot mode
  • Run the downloadable .exe of SP1
  • Run SP1 preparation tool
  • sfc/scannow
  • DskChk
  • Googling the error - some results suggest a virus in the recovery/system partition of the HDD

Nothing seems to work. The netbook runs Win7 Starter.

 

I hope somebody can help

 

Thanks in advance

Hi manicd,

 

I reckon you have chosen a really tough one to work on here…..

 

1 However the "easy" way is to use the Win 7 starter DVD to do a completely fresh install of Windows……( make sure his back up strategy is sound, and has been effective, with at least one extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media as everything will be cleared from his machine)

 

However as is likely, your friend will probably not have this disc, so it's a question of  contacting the netbook manufacturer and asking to buy one….This may or may not be received well by them… :scratch:

 

2 There are alternative solutions….. but they take a bit of work, and can be time consuming…… :(

 

3 Have a look at Post 15 by Corrine, here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/147082-give-up-installing-win-7-sp1-2.html

 

4 and you should also check out this link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/i-am-looking-for-an-iso-of-windows-7-starter/058f7f00-16ab-4f22-8f66-602db259cb5b?page=2

note particularly the final post in the topic…..

 

5 Sometimes if you have tried everything else and still no joy, then its worth him consulting  a local competent, computer technician…… but as always get a fixed quotation first….

Regards

paws

Hi Paws

 

Thank you for your in depth work through. I first tried suggestion number 2 - the permission settings and replacing key files detailed in the link you kindly provided. I went through changing the permissions of various folders in order to modify their contenst but I was hitting a brick wall with insufficient rights privileges. Upon checking file properties I realised that they were marked as read only.

 

Consequently I was then able to replace the existing files with new ones. However as I deemed the whole process a mess I decided to give restoring another shot. Sure enough and to my relief everything went according to plan & I was then able to install sp1 without issue.

So if at first you don't succeed (although I wasn’t thinking this at the time).

 

Thanks again Paws for your help & suggestions.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI