This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Slave drive not recognized by Windows 98

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:( I have added a new/used hard drive into my computer as a slave drive. I have made sure all of the settings on the drives are set to master and slave as they should be. The BIOS is recognizing the secondary drive but Windows 98 SE is not. I verified that the drive was good before putting it in the computer and again after putting adding it to my computer formated it and performed scandisk by making it the master drive. This slave drive is only formated and does not have any type of operating system on it, which I would like to keep that way. Any help in fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Hi k_brancheau, I've recently done a similar install on my Win98 machine. Everything I read recommended using C/S Cable Select settings for both Master and Slave. So that's how I set it up initially. But I had the same problem that you described……. Recognized by BIOS, but not by Win98. So I set the the Master to "Master" jumper settings, and the "Slave" to Slave jumper settings. (this worked for me) I wonder if you have just the opposite situation. Both of my HDs are Maxtor and both are very old 12gb units. But it is possible that newer HDs will recognize better with Cable Select jumper settings. Try changing the jumper settings on both to Cable Select. Try changing only the "slave" jumper settings to Cable Select, while leaving the Master jumper settings as Master. Unfortunately, I am only suggesting that you "experiment" a little, but I hope you will find the magic combination for your two HDs. Are both HDs on the same IDE ribbon? Did you replace the original 40 wire IDE ribbon with the newer 80 wire IDE. Such a replacement is cheep, easy to do, and may make the difference. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI