Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

New Hd And Cd Drives Aren't There!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_87gtNOS_*

Guest_87gtNOS_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2004 - 09:44 PM

Hey guys..I hope I am posting this in the correct place! The other day I added a 80gb hard drive to my PC. It is set a primary slave. My old drive is the Primary master. On another set of flat cable are my two cd drives. Which I believe are secondary master and slave. When I click on "My Computer" I only see one of them. To make things worse, neither work. How do I fix this! Windows 98se. Thanks, Jonathon

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Guest_87gtNOS_*

Guest_87gtNOS_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2004 - 09:53 PM

another thing...when I was messing around trying to get the new HD to work, I disable in device manager, secondary IDE controller. When I go and enable it and re-boot, my computer hangs up on login screen. So I have to reboot in safe mode and disable the secondary IDE controller and rebott and everything is fine...but no cd drives!

#3 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 05 January 2004 - 02:27 PM

Hi 87gtNOS- Some older computers will not recognize hdd's that large which in some cases can be solved by downloading updated drivers from your computer's manufacturer. The configuration you listed should work although the "proper" configuration would be : IDE 1 -to- CD-ROM/RW(slave) -to- HARDDRIVE(master) -----IDE 2 -to- CD-ROM/RW(slave) -to- HARDDRIVE(master). I assume you got an installation cd with your new drive and used it to install, you might try searching through that cd for any usefull tools if you havent already done so. If you still have problems post back and give us a little more info.. like manufacturer / model / CPU / ram..etc..etc..

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#4 Guest_87gtNOS_*

Guest_87gtNOS_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:44 PM

Hey thanks. You mean that I should (in simple terms!) run the main harddrive with one of the cd drives slave to it...and...the spare HD with the other cd drive slave to it? I will try that tonight. Thanks again

#5 Guest_87gtNOS_*

Guest_87gtNOS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:12 AM

Still doesn't work!! I have win98 and a 6 month old computer. 40gb primary master, 80gb primary slave....then secondary master is dvd , dvdr is secondary slave. With this configuration the computer freezes on bootup after diagnostics screens...in the first 2 screens you can see the above configuration listed. I have also got no control of my printer! And some internet security settings have changed. Could the internal battery be dead also, sometimes my clock in the bios needs resetting. In bios...boot from floppy 1st, boot from cd 2nd, boot from IDE-0 3rd. HELP!!!!!!!

#6 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:06 AM

If your battery is dead then you would get a "CMOS failed, system will load default BIOS...etc..etc" error or somthing along those lines. It looks more like a power supply problem to me at this point. You say computer is 6 months old.. is it an ATX ? The newer ATX boards have to have a certain power supply (its one extra 4-prong plug.. 2 yellow's and 2 blacks) which has to be pluged into the board. I believe that plug runs physical memory if i am not mistaken.. but anyway what you are describing tells me power supply is not big enough. Without knowing what type of processor you have I am going to venture out and say you need atleast a 300 watt . Which is the bare minimum for P4's.. what you can do is simply start disconnecting items you can get by with just enough for computer to boot.. like. use one cd drive.... disconect USB 2 if you can.... etc..etc.. if that works to get you booted then you have your answer. BUT THE FIRST THING i WOULD CHECK.... and then check.. and then check again is that all the cables are in properly and securly and configuration of each device is right.. try that and lets see where it gets you

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#7 Guest_87gtNOS_*

Guest_87gtNOS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2004 - 05:04 PM

my mother board is a ECS K7S 1800. Yes there is a extra plug from the ATX power supply that is as you describe..it is tucked away, not plugged into anything. How do I check my battery? Thanks guys...

#8 Guest_87gtNOS_*

Guest_87gtNOS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:47 PM

LOL!! I changed the battery and now it all works!!!! A bunch of my settings are changed, like internet options and printer drivers..but I'll fix that!! Thanks a bunch Jonathon