This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

need help with drive format

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am trying to be brief, but need to explain a little here. I was called by a friend to "fix" her computer since a friends son had attempted to do the same and now it is totally "crashed". This is a very old system that was running win98 until it crashed and this kid loaded winxp onto it and now has really done a number. The system is too slow and only has 64 mb ram so XP can't run. I tried to format C: and load 98 back, but after format when trying to install 98 get an error referring to the drive being now formatted NTSF. It will not let me load 98, and I need to know how to get this drive back to it's original format so I can get her system up again with win98. Thanks and really would appreciate e-mail response if possible at [removed]. Larry
Ok you can do this… no prob. Click here to download Windows 98 startup disk. Make sure you have a formatted floppy handy and then click on the executable file you just downloaded and it will make the disk for you. Once made, put it in the drive and reboot. When you get the command prompt type convert C: /fs:fat32 This will format the C:drive using FAT filesystem. Once thats done (((note that you can try this before you reformat))) put the 98 CD in and boot. When it asks "Press Any Key To Boot From CD".. do so. Follow on-screen instructions and your off…
OK, thanks…………I have a 98 boot disk I use but did not know the command to change the drive format. Thanks and will give this a try. Larry

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI