Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91631 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

problem with wmp, and dvd rips

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 subdiv6

subdiv6

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:44 AM

hi. been having some trouble lately with several things on my computer. the first problem that came up was with windows media player. whats been happening lately is every time i click a link to an mpeg it shuts wmp down. when i view the report it says there is a problem with mainconcept mpeg encoder...i dont even have or use that particular mpeg encoder. when i right click the link to save the target as...and download the whole file, it plays out fine. so that was the first problem....then about a week later i tried ripping some dvds.. i usually use pqdvd. so when i opened up the program, it started to detect the dvd then immdeiatly shut down the program. i tried restarting and reinstalling, but it didnt help. i then tried my other ripper, imtoo, and it shut down as well. then the third problem that came up was with my internet explorer. it started loading funny, blinking every few seconds while the page loaded, and now i get a pop up window all the time that says click to run active x control on this page. i used to get the yellow bar on top when this would happen...but this new pop up seems to happen more than the other one did. anyways, ive probably already written too much...but if anyone has any idea about anything ive written i could really use the help. im not sure if this is a problem for the hijack this forum or something else, but if anyone could help, i would really appreciate it. thanks, -shane

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hi SubDiv6,

now i get a pop up window all the time that says click to run active x control on this page.

Accepting ActiveX components to view internet pages can be hazardous and you should use great caution in making decisions about doing so.

Your problem with viewing media may be related to not having the correct Codecs, and or having old, multiple or conflicting codecs. One avenue you might try, would be to uninstall all of your current Codecs and download a competent package of Codecs from your favorite trusted site. You can Google for information about removing Codecs and finding competent Codec packs.

You may also benefit by uninstalling your WMPlayer and making a fresh installation, downloaded from the MS site.

There is a Microsoft Vulnerability related to your described problem that may allow malicious code to be run on your machine. You can read about it here:
http://www.microsoft...n/MS06-005.mspx

With regard to DVD ripping, there are tons of informative sites to assist you with this. (again Google)

While even viewing media can be machine resource intensive, ripping and and editing is extremely resource intensive. You should consider factors related to your machine, including CPU, RAM, and programs running in the background, in order to assure that your machine has sufficient power and is correctly configured to accomplish these tasks.

In my opinion, the area of your concern about "ripping" may be a common activity of some computer users, but may be taking you into territory that could be subject to legal issues which you should investigate with regards to the laws that apply in your location.

Beyond the simple recommendations cited above, I am not comfortable pursuing the topic of "ripping" in this Forum.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 subdiv6

subdiv6

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:12 PM

with the box that asks to accept active x, it is new...it pops up on pages that havent had it before...most pages on myspace...most likely because of the embedded players. i just dont know why that started and why theyure all loading funny now. I have tons of codecs, so i guess ill have to read into that. but as far as the ripping, im ripping my dvd collection for my ipod. thats why i use pq dvd...it does the best rips for ipod in my opinion. i can understand you not wanting to talk about dvd ripping, but im not worried about it because i own all the dvds...i think the problems is not with my dvds tho, but the software or the drive itself. anyways, thanks

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:17 AM

Here's a note about Pop Up Blocking by MS XP SP2
http://www.microsoft...ain/sp2top.mspx

Will you please write down or copy and paste if possible, the "exact" wording of the popup.
I would be worried about malware.

Pages loading funny

???

Can you be a little more descriptive? Again, consider malware.

With a little more informtion, we may be able to direct you to some tools to get it cleaned up, if it is malware.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.