This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Media Not Working Properly After Malware Cleanup

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. The team over in the malware forum directed me here for help.

I had a malware infection at the beginning of September, and with the help of oldman960, was able to clean it out. The thread for that cleanup is here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Need_Help_Co…10_t106730.html

Now I am having issues with Windows Media. Not sure if these are related to the malware cleanup, but they started around the same time. Specifically, I have the following symptoms:

1. When trying to rip a CD in Windows Media Player, it fails if you try to rip to the WMV format. Ripping to MP3 format works fine.

2. Some video files (WMV) that used to play now don't. WMP says the codec is not available, but it is unsuccessful in downloading/installing the codec. (The WMV files in question play fine on my other PCs.)

3. Some other media-related software seems to be corrupted. For example, I cannot uninstall the (no longer used) application Zen MicroPhoto Media Explorer. The uninstall routine fails.

I also have an odd “phantom” folder that shows up under the My Computer display. Not sure if this is related to the Windows Media problems. See attachment for a screen shot.

I have tried a number of fixes, you can read the details starting here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Need_Help_Co…st&p=603593

A summary of the attempted fixes include:

– Installation of K-Lite codec pack.

– Repair of DirectShow installation using Dial-A-Fix

– Download and install of Microsoft codec pack from here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme…ecdownload.aspx

– Running DirectX diagnostics (DXDIAG), which fails to run.

My OS is WinXP Pro SP3.

Thanks.

- Eric
As to WMP issues I'd suggest installing the latest WMP for starters.

You can just install it on top of your current version.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme…11/default.aspx


As to DXDIAG what exactly happens?


Does your graphics card show under the Device Manager?

(right click My Computer / click Manage / Device Manager / Display device)

You might want to load the latest drivers for it as well from the manufacturers web site.
I had already tried reinstalling Windows Media Player 11. I forgot to mention that in my original problem description. Sorry. I already had WMP 11 installed at the time of the malware incident. I tried both a reinstall over the existing installation, as well as an uninstall followed by a reinstall. In either case, it didn't help the problem. When I run dxdiag, I get a dialog that's titled DxDiag Error, with the message, "Error: Could not load DXDIAGN.DLL". My graphics card reports that it is operating normally. I searched for an updated driver via the windows driver update screen. It found an update, but when I tried to install it, I got an error that the installation failed. I have attached a screen shot. Thanks. - Eric
I attempted the driver update as suggested.

First, I downloaded the latest driver package from ATI. The package I downloaded was "Option 1 - Full Software Suite" from this page:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wind…mp;lang=English

Next, I used Add/Remove programs to remove the existing display driver. Note that it gave me an option to remove both a primary (AGP) and secondary (PCI) driver. I checked both boxes of those boxes, and the remove appeared to be successful.

After a restart, I ran the driver installation package. The install wizard opened, it unpacked all the files to my C: drive, but then just as the installation was beginning, it gave an error message (see attached). After clicking OK, the installation aborted.

After that installation failure, I used System Restore to return my system to its prior state.

One last note – due to real-life intruding, I will not be able to work on this problem any more until Friday.

Thanks for your help.

- Eric
What is the make and model of the computer?

Also another possible option is to run the System File Checker:

start Run… sfc /scannow

Note the space between sfc and /scannow. You probably will be asked to insert your XP CD.

This process checks all system files and replaces any missing or otherwise damaged.
I had previously tried the system file checker "sfc /scannow" command, and it did not solve the problem. Sorry, that was another troubleshooting step that I forgot about. Guess I need to keep better notes… Anyway, it did ask me to insert my original XP disk (which is an SP1 version). I believe the following were the DLLs that were restored by SFC (as reported by the DDS utility in my other malware thread): =============== Created Last 30 ================ 2009-10-16 15:52 116,224 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\xrxwiadr.dll 2009-10-16 15:52 23,040 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\xrxwbtmp.dll 2009-10-16 15:52 18,944 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\xrxscnui.dll 2009-10-16 15:52 27,648 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\xrxftplt.exe 2009-10-16 15:52 4,608 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\xrxflnch.exe 2009-10-16 15:50 35,871 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\wbfirdma.sys 2009-10-16 15:49 440,576 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\tridkb.dll 2009-10-16 15:48 7,552 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\sonyait.sys 2009-10-16 15:47 17,280 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\scr111.sys 2009-10-16 15:46 130,942 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\ptserlv.sys 2009-10-16 15:45 54,528 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\opl3sax.sys 2009-10-16 15:44 35,200 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\msgame.sys 2009-10-16 15:43 253,952 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\kdsusd.dll 2009-10-16 15:42 372,824 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\iconf32.dll 2009-10-16 15:41 165,888 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\hpgt53.dll 2009-10-16 15:40 34,816 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\esuimg.dll 2009-10-16 15:39 102,484 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\digiinf.dll 2009-10-16 15:38 272,640 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\cinemclc.sys 2009-10-16 15:37 66,082 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\c_1149.nls 2009-10-16 15:36 268,160 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\atidvai.dll 2009-10-16 15:35 66,048 ac—— c:\windows\system32\dllcache\s3legacy.dll The PC is a homebuilt: - Asus K8V motherboard - Athlon 64 3200+ processor - Radeon 9600XT graphics - Creative SB Audigy 2ZS sound card (onboard sound disabled in BIOS) Thanks. - Eric
No, I haven't. Do you think that's the next step? Will the installer you linked automatically download the correct version? Thanks. - Eric
Yes it should load the appropriate version. I think it is worth a try, couldn't hurt, and also restart your computer after even if it does not prompt you to do so.
I ran the DirectX web setup from the link provided. The installation completed without any errors. Unfortunately, all of my symptoms are unchanged. - Eric
I got the same error as before (see post #5). Just to be clear, these are the exact steps I followed: 1. Downloaded WDM Integrated Driver 19.5 MB 9.8 8/28/2009 (filename 9-8_legacy_xp32-64_wdm.exe) 2. Created new restore point. 3. Uninstalled "ATI Display Driver" using add/remove programs 4. Step 3 caused a system restart 5. Upon restart, the graphics card was discovered. 6. When instructed to insert the driver installation CD, I clicked cancel. 7. Ran the exe file from step 2. 8. It unpacked the files, began installation, then the error message was generated. 9. Used system restore to go back to prior state. Thanks. - Eric

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI