Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

NeroStartSmart.exe error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Osaid

Osaid

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:00 AM

Hi I purchased a DVD-RAM (DVD Writer) and got a nero installation cd with it. I installed it and it creates an icon NeroStartSmat on the desktop which is the main point for running all the Nero applications. It works for almost an hour after installation and then it gives the messege "NeroStartSmart.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." It gives 2 options.....send error report and Don't send error report. i am running Win XP sp1. I am stuck here PLEASE HELP....thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:07 PM

Nero uses large amounts of CPU cycles, RAM and a ton of Hard Drive space. You may be running into a problem of "limited resources." Clear out your .tmps, java cache, and temporary internet files. Defrag Take a look at MSCONFIG - Start Up - to see what applications may be running from Start Up. Disable what you can by removing the checkmark from in front of items that you wish to terminate. Especially consider disabling auto-updater functions, as you never can tell when they will start interupting your work in progress and consuming resources that you may need. Let us know what CPU, RAM, and Hard Drive you are running. When you run Nero, close all other applications and windows. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Osaid

Osaid

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:50 AM

I removed Mediacck and NEWNET-2 from the startup.........still not working.....I have Pentium 4, 2.41GHz and 256MB of RAM. I also cleared out java cache, and temporary internet files but I don't know how to clear .tmps.......

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:29 PM

To clean out all the temporary files and cookies on your system.
Go to
Start - Run - (type) "cleanmgr" without the quotes.
Let it scan your system for files to remove.
Check these three boxes and then press ok to remove:
Temporary Files,
Temporary Internet Files,
Recycle Bin.

Then GoTo:
Start - Find/search - Files or folders - in the named box, type: *.tmp
When the list is generated, choose
Edit - select all - File - delete.

Note: If you cannot delete them all at once because you have too many, then click and hold ctrl and highlight a batch of them at a time. Once highlighted, R-click over the highlight and select delete.

Then use
Start - Run - (type) "%temp%" (without the quotes).
Delete the entire contents of that "temp" folder
(use Edit - Select All - press "Delete", click "Yes").

Then,
Empty your Temporary Internet Cache completely.
Close all instances of Outlook and Internet Explorer,
then use "Control Panel - Internet Options - General tab and click the "Delete File" button.
When prompted place a check in: "Delete all offline content", then click OK.

Then, use Windows Explorer to clean out ALL the other temp folders on your system
(navigate to the folder, (as listed below)
use "Edit - Select All", press "Delete", click "Yes"

* C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Profile>\Local Settings\Temp\
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Any other users Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Any other users Profile>\Local Settings\Temp\

* C:\Windows\Prefetch\

* Empty your "Recycle Bin".

Note: This is a long manual way to clear out .tmp files. It is safe and highly recommended.

Eventually you may wish to use a "tool" to do this procedure for you on a regular basis.
Download: CleanUp! 4.0 from http://www.stevengould.org
Read about all the options for using this device and use it only after you are satisfied that you understand what it will do for you. I use it regularly, and have a squeaky clean computer as a result.

Best Regards

Edited by dough, 23 March 2006 - 01:33 PM.

#5 Osaid

Osaid

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:13 PM

thanks mate but the problem is still there. I deleted everything as you said but only one file "dja1.tmp". I cannot deletee it. It says that the file is write protected. Access is denied. I tried to delete it in safe mode but still the same result. REGARDS!!!

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:36 PM

Ok Osaid,

We've got you started toward a clean running machine, but you may still be having difficulty, if not with Nero, then pretty soon with your machine as a whole.

I say this because the items you indicate you "removed" from your StartUp are actually malware items.
(the spelling of the items is a little different from usual, but I'm still pretty sure you got some bugs there)

Since I don't know what Anti-malware utilities you have installed and updated, I'll make a few recommendations, or you can get a general overview of what would benefit you to have on your machine, Here: http://pcpitstop.inv...showtopic=61975
PCPitstop is my "home forum" and reliable, but you can find similar information here at TomCoyote as well.

Download, install and update Spybot Search & Destroy version 1.4 and Ad-Aware Person SE ver 1.06r1

then,
Open Spybot S&D.
At the top of the Spybot screen "click" Mode and Select Advanced Mode.
A column of items will now appear in the left side of your Spybot screen.
Select: "Ignore Products"
Now a listing of all the products that Spybot identifies will fill the white screen of Spybot
Scroll down the list.
You will notice that 3 or 4 will have a "checkmark" in the box to the left in front of the item.
Remove the "check mark"
You'll probably notice those 3 or 4 are items like New (dot) net, and SideSearch, and c-Dilla.
If you run Turbo Tax you may want to allow c-Dilla to remain checkmarked, but remove all other check marks in the Ignore Products listing.
MAKE NO OTHER CHANGES TO THE CONFIGURATION OF SPYBOT S&D

Now at the top of the Spybot screen again, Select Mode, and Select "Default Mode"
Now run your Spybot S& D scan. Allow it to remove any item it identifies in Red.

Then Run Ad-Aware Personal SE ver. 1.06r1 as FULL SCAN

Now download and install Ewido trojan scan from: http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
It's a trial version, but will continue to be an excellent tool for you after the trial period expires.
You'll just have to update it manually. Keep it. It's a great tool.

Run Ewido Scan, but don't allow it to automatically delete items it identifies.
Instead, read each identified item, and decide for yourself if you want to delete it.

Why do this manually?
Well Ewido does occasionally identify items that a user really wants to keep. Most often this occurs if the user is a "gamer" and Ewido identifies items from games.

After running Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Ewido, update and run your onboard Virus Scan.

Please post back here with results.

In the event that you have a "persistant" infection, we'll look at more specific tools, and/or refer you over to the HJT Forum.

Please post results here first (but not a HJT Log, since we don't analyze HJT in this "Other Problems" forum)

Best Regards

#7 Osaid

Osaid

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:26 AM

Hi Adaware removed absolutely nothing. In Spybot there was no list in the ignore products section. It also found no infections. Ewido did remove a few Firefox errors and bugs. Thats it. nero still doesn't work. I also used Spy Sweeper. it removed cookies and a few other bugs.......thanks

Edited by Osaid, 24 March 2006 - 05:29 AM.

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:12 AM

Hi Osaid,

I've noticed a "blank" white screen in Spybot directly after "updating".
Close Spybot, then re-open it.... Then I think that "ignored products" will be populated by a large list.
"Uncheck" the 3 0r4 items as I suggested.
This may be quite useful to you because one of the items you may be infected with is New (dot) net

After running Spybot this second time, if you still have problems running Nero or anyother problems with your computer, then please consider running and posting a HJT Log over in that HJT Forum.
Here's the TC instructions for Posting HJT.
http://forums.tomcoy...showtopic=57813

Best Regards

EDIT: Is there a reason why you are running XP SP1 and haven't yet updated to SP2?
Many important patches and critical updates are included in SP2, which is highly recommended to help keep your machine secure. It may be a good idea, however, to run the HJT and get your machine clean before installing SP2.

Edited by dough, 24 March 2006 - 10:16 AM.

#9 dubz

dubz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

not everything is related to spyware/adware... which everyone on this forum seems to think... update your windows first. there should be no reason u still have sp1. then go to nero and update nero. do u have any old versions of nero installed? or any other burning programs? have u tried the software on another machine?