When i try and run my scan on Symantic Antivirus i get an error message saying "Could not start scan. Scan engine returned error 0x20000058." Also i got Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 and when I try to install it, an error message that says another program needs the computer to reboot, and then Visual Studio can be installed. But I have restrated my computer every time this came up, which has been five times in a row. I can not figure out what is saying it needs the computer to restart. Please HELP!!!
Here's a fairly comprehensive Symantec help resource.
Check the settings according to their instruction.
There is also an update that may resolve this problem.
Once Symantec problem is resolved, post back with specifics regarding your Visual Studio problem, unless resolving the Symantec cleared the way for proper functioning of that install.
Best Regards
I got the lastest version of Symantec and installed it and now I can do scans. As for the Visual Studio problem it has not changed. When I put the disk in the cd drive it auto runs and the Visual Studio .NET setup window pops up. The first step says Visual Studio .NET prerequisites. When I click on it a message comes up that says "Setup has detected that another program requires the computer to reboot. You must reboot the computer before installing Visual Studio .NET Prerequisites. Once the system reboots, you need to restart setup. Click OK to reboot. Click Cancel to exit setup and install later." So i restart the computer and try and install the program but i keep getting the same message.
Microsoft has a new "installer program" in their recent "critical updates and patches".
I've noticed other people having difficulty similar to yours, until they updated with Microsoft.
You may benefit from manually going to the Microsoft Update site and having MS scan your machine for necessary updates and patches. Then try your Visual Studios CD again.
Best Regards
u may need the prereqs installed… have u checked that? did u install .net and the .net updates? im pretty sure visual studio .net would need that.
be sure you have met all the system requirements and have all the necesary updates to install the progrm.
I did have it scan for updates and there were no critical ones, I also did a scan and installed some of the updates that were not critical. After they were installed I tryed to install the program but i got the same message saying that the computer needs to restart. So when i restarted i went into safe mode to try and install it there. When i got into safe mode and tryed to install it the message did not come up saying it had to restart, istead it said to put in the pre-req cd. When i did this a message came up saying that you can not install the program in safe mode so it would not let me install it. So what ever process is running in normal mode is not running is safe mode. Still stuck as to what to do!