Valkery
Topic Starter
Hello. I hope someone can help me with a recent problem that I have discovered.
I have noticed that Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition 9.0 no longer loads up when my computer starts. Usually, I see the yellow shield icon in my taskbar on the lower right part of the screen. But for some reason, the program does not load up and I do not see the yellow shield icon. When I try to manually load the program by opening it up, I get a message saying that some critical file is missing (rtvs32.dll or something like that) and that the program cannot open. So I decided to un-install the program.
On the start up menu, the NAV CE program does not have an Uninstall program option. I decided to go to Control Panel–>Add/Remove programs to remove NAV CE. However, when I highlight NAV CE and click the uninstall button, the computer opens up Microsoft Installer and tries to install the program! Then it says it can't find the necessary files and so it can't install it. I have tried to remove NAV CE in Safe Mode, and I get the same problem.
I thought that maybe I have a virus problem. So I installed AVG Free Antivirus 7.0 with latest definitions, and scanned my computer. I also scanned my computer using Pandasoftware online ActiveScan. Neither of them showed a virus. I then scanned my computer with Webroot Spysweeper and Spyware Doctor with latest definitions, and it shows that I don't have any spyware.
On a previous occassion, Spyware Doctor did show that I had something called Trojan.Startpage.Gen and it removed that. I'm wondering whether this had somehow crippled my Nortan Antivirus. I noticed that one of my other programs, Spybot Search and Destroy, would download definitions but not be able to install them around the same time that I had this Trojan.
Anyways, can someone suggest why Microsoft Installer loads up when I try to remove programs using Add/Remove programs in Control Panel?
I am using Windows 98 with all the latest security updates from Microsoft