This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Mouse problem

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My mouse just moves by itself to different parts of my screen at random. This makes it very difficult when gaming, you know when trying to shoot somone and then the screen starts to spin around. At any rate, the problem occurred when I installed a new wireless mouse and keyboard. I bought and was using the Logitech LX 300 package. Once installed I noticed the mouse pointer would just dart off by itself without any warning to any random part of my screen. I have since gone back to my wired keyboard and mouse that came with my PC and I am still having the same problem. The Logitech system came with a driver disc, which I installed but uninstalled after having the problem. Thanks for the help in advance. Dave
Hello Freis968,

This may be helpful. I've copy/pasted the part that may most likely be a source of your difficulty below.
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;239679

Method 3
If you switch from one port to another, and the mouse movement is completely erratic: 1. Make sure you do not have more than one mouse driver installed. To do so: • Press CTRL+ESC.
• Use the ARROW keys locate Control Panel, and then press ENTER.
• In Control Panel, use the ARROW keys to locate Add or Remove Programs, and then press ENTER.
• Use the ARROW keys to locate any IntelliPoint and Logitech software, press TAB to locate Remove, and then press ENTER.
For additional information about how to remove earlier versions of mouse device drivers on Microsoft Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
321122 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122/EN-US/) IntelliMouse: The Mouse Pointer Moves Erratically or Does Not Respond with Windows XP
For additional information about removing mice from other operating systems, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
185663 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185663/EN-US/) Pointer Moves Erratically or Does Not Respond
2. Make sure you do not have any mouse device drivers loaded in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files.
3. Avoid moving the mouse or pressing the mouse button when you are switching ports on the E-Series KVM switch.
4. You can rest the mouse and resume correct mouse movement by unplugging the mouse from the KVM switch for about two to three seconds, and then plugging the mouse back in again.

Hello dough, thanks for replying. I did as suggested but did not find any Intellipoint or Logitech programs in my Add/Remove Programs listing. Any other ideas?
Hi Dave, 1 You may be able to assert some control via the (mouse properties) adjustment screen. Go to Control Panel, scroll down to Mouse and double-click. This should show you a "mouse properties" screen where you can possibly make adjustments(speed/direction). 2 How about conflict with Screen Display Resolution? One often sited "solution" for mouse problems is to reduce the screen resolution (pixels x pixels for instance some have resolution up to 1600 x 1024) looks great, but can cause problems controlling the mouse. Reducing to 1024 x 768 could make a difference. you can experiement with the settings. (right-click on any empty space on your Desktop and select Properties - Settings) 3 How about adjusting your actual "game" ? Detail Resolution Depth of view Mouse Sensitivity Options Does this "only" happen in "games"? Does this "also" happen in other applications like MS Office or Adobe, or whatever, or when just using your browser? If it "only" is happening in the "game"… does it "only" happen when you "shoot"? Are you able to move your character around OK, until it comes to shooting? If it is a problem "only when shooting" then it is probably not a "mouse" problem, and has something to do with your operating system - hardware - CPU - RAM - as they interact with the game. Why? Because when you "click" to shoot, the game actually manipulates the scene, your character, the character you are shooting at, and the special effect of the shot itself, thereby using a bunch of RAM and CPU cycles, and maybe loading stuff from your drives. If this is "when" the problem happens then you might consider: -Clean up junk and temp files to free up more space on your Hard Drive -Defrag your hard drive -Clean your Registry of invalid and corrupt entries -buy/add more RAM -consider updating the driver on your video card This list of suggestions is kinda "shotgun effect" throwing alot of ideas at you because I'm not clear specifically where/what/when the actual "mouse-cursor" problem occurs. Let us know as you progress with the solution of this problem. I'll bet there are other gamers who consult here frequently and they would love to learn the solution too! Best Regards
Hello dough, thanks again for more suggestions. I am a PC clean nut, in that I defrag all of the time, delete temp files, the whole nine yards. It happens in and out of games. Just browsing the internet, working on text docs, you name it, the mouse has a mind of its own. The problem only started once I installed that new stupid Logitech stuff. I am sure there is some driver of something somewhere causing interference but how to locate it other than what you suggested, I don't know. I am sure I could reformat my hard drive and fix the problem, but I don't relish the idea of having to reinstall all that I have on my PC, which as you could imagine is a lot of programs, etc. I guess I will wait until Windows Vista comes out and then once I install that it will probably fix the problem…but perhaps cause others… :rofl:
Dave, If you're thinking it could be solveable via reformat-reinstall, then you are suggesting that there may be "missing or corrupt" files in your Windows OS environment. Well you can take care of that with a quick run of the System File Checker. Have your install CD handy, since if a "missing or corrupt" file is identified, then SFC will call for the CD to copy and replace the file. Start - Run - (type) sfc /scannow Let us know :)
no one suggested it so i will check your mousepad maybe there is some dirt on it or something… i had this problem before and with a new mouse pad everythign works smoothly

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI