Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91865 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Removing AOL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 needing help

needing help

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

I want to totally get AOL off my computer but I'm not sure where to start, there are alot of files and folder's, not to metion the registry. I seem to have to go back to a restore point whenever I start removing stuff in my "msconfig" startup tab, so I normally just leave things as they are when it comes to "msconfig". I have windows XP, if there are any other thing's that need to be known about my computer before anyone tries to help me with this, I would be more than happy to let you know. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Blair

Blair

SuperMember

• Root Admin
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:00 AM

Add/Remove programs, uninstall AOL. Uninstall all versions, and the AOL folder when done.
Posted Image

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

You may also find a re-installation utility for AOL in C:\Program Files\Common files\ It may be called WAOL, or AOLBack. There's a ton of stuff in the Registry regarding AOL, not all of which is safe to remove. I mention the Registry issue because you can leave it alone and not experience difficulty with AOL being gone. But some people who are really sick of AOL, also tear into their Registry, sometimes with unfortunate results. Don't go after the Registry items unless you actually know what you are doing, you won't gain anything and could cause yourself some damage. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 needing help

needing help

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the info I'll try to keep from doing to much damage to my puter :D

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:37 AM

Visit this page below and read how to use and download CCleaner. It's a great tool to remove junk and temp files and it also has a very good registry cleaner. It may speed up your computer.
Be sure to read how to use CCleaner. It 's a powerful tool and excellent for those who take the small amount of time to learn how to use it.
It will scrub out much of the AOL junk in your registry and possibly help your machine run faster/smoother.
Reboot after you are done
http://www.ccleaner.com
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.