This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

AOL wants to start by itself

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Any help would sure be apprieciated, thanks, Hal

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:34:34 PM, on 7/17/05
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\CLMPANEL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\MSOFFICE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\AOLTRAY.EXE
C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\HFMENU.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\AMERICA ONLINE 5.0\WAOL.EXE
C:\AOL DOWNLOADS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by America Online
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ohb - {999A06FF-10EF-4A29-8640-69E99882C26B} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NSAB123.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HomeKeyLogger] C:\PROGRAM FILES\HOMEKEYLOGGER\KEYLOGGER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMFrontPanel] clmpanel /i
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Osa.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msoffice.exe
O4 - Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Findfast.exe
O4 - Startup: MFL Pro.lnk = C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\MFLPRO.EXE
O4 - Startup: Fax Menu.lnk = C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\HFMENU.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O10 - Hijacked Internet access by WebHancer
O10 - Hijacked Internet access by WebHancer
O10 - Hijacked Internet access by WebHancer
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.static.topconverting.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.clickspring.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.mt-download.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotch.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.media-motor.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.windupdates.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.c4tdownload.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.xxxtoolbar.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.ysbweb.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.overpro.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.megapornix.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.awmdabest.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.addictivetechnologies.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.addictivetechnologies.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.f1organizer.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.crazywinnings.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.topconverting.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.searchmiracle.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotchbar.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.static.topconverting.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.clickspring.net (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.mt-download.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotch.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.media-motor.net (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.windupdates.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.c4tdownload.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.xxxtoolbar.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.ysbweb.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.overpro.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.megapornix.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.awmdabest.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.addictivetechnologies.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.addictivetechnologies.net (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.f1organizer.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.crazywinnings.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.topconverting.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.searchmiracle.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotchbar.com (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in Trusted Zone, should be Internet Zone
O16 - DPF: {7149E79C-DC19-4C5E-A53C-A54DDF75EEE9} (IObjSafety.DemoCtl) - http://cabs.media-motor.net/cabs/joysaver.cab
Hello gonetoofar, welcome to the forum. Sorry about the delay in responding :( If you still need help, Scan again with HijackThis, and copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Thanks LDTate for responding. Yes, I still have problems. I try not to use this computer too much until I can get my issues resolved. I first noticed that after I sign off AOL, about two minutes later, AOL tries to sign on again. Ever since that, I try to keep my on-line time to a minimum. Last Sunday, while I was going through the registration process, I was on-line quite awhile. When I finally signed off, I noticed several new icons on my desktop. I hope you can help me clear this up.
Thanks, Hal

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:36:19 AM, on 7/23/05
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\CLMPANEL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\MSOFFICE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\AOLTRAY.EXE
C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\HFMENU.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BRMFRSMG.EXE
C:\AOL DOWNLOADS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by America Online
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ohb - {999A06FF-10EF-4A29-8640-69E99882C26B} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NSAB123.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HomeKeyLogger] C:\PROGRAM FILES\HOMEKEYLOGGER\KEYLOGGER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMFrontPanel] clmpanel /i
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Osa.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msoffice.exe
O4 - Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Findfast.exe
O4 - Startup: MFL Pro.lnk = C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\MFLPRO.EXE
O4 - Startup: Fax Menu.lnk = C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\HFMENU.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O10 - Hijacked Internet access by WebHancer
O10 - Hijacked Internet access by WebHancer
O10 - Hijacked Internet access by WebHancer
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.static.topconverting.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.clickspring.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.mt-download.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotch.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.media-motor.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.windupdates.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.c4tdownload.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.xxxtoolbar.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.ysbweb.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.overpro.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.megapornix.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.awmdabest.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.addictivetechnologies.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.addictivetechnologies.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.f1organizer.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.crazywinnings.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.topconverting.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.searchmiracle.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotchbar.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.static.topconverting.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.clickspring.net (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.mt-download.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotch.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.media-motor.net (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.windupdates.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.c4tdownload.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.xxxtoolbar.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.ysbweb.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.overpro.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.megapornix.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.awmdabest.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.addictivetechnologies.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.addictivetechnologies.net (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.f1organizer.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.crazywinnings.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.topconverting.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.searchmiracle.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotchbar.com (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in Trusted Zone, should be Internet Zone
O16 - DPF: {7149E79C-DC19-4C5E-A53C-A54DDF75EEE9} (IObjSafety.DemoCtl) - http://cabs.media-motor.net/cabs/joysaver.cab
Not sure if this is related or another problem, but as long as I move around within AOL I'm fine, like checking mail, but even when I say go to tomcoyote site, I get a message asking if I want to continue working off-line or if I want to "Connect". I have to say "connect to get here. Thanks, Hal
Download LSPfix here: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm


Follow these steps to remove Webhancer:
Click on start, settings, control panel.

Double-click on the Add/Remove Programs icon.

Uninstall Webhancer from the listing of programs

Delete the following files and directories:

c:\program files\webhancer <–Folder
c:\windows\webhdll.dll
c:\windows\whagent.inf
c:\windows\whInstaller.exe
c:\windows\whInstaller.ini


Download DelDomains.inf
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/DelDomains.inf

Right-click and select….. Save Target As….Save

To use: Right-click and select……. Install (no need to restart)
**Note** This will remove all entries in the "Trusted Zone"



If you can not connect to the Internet after removing Webhancer, please run the LSP-Fix program I had you download earlier, and click on the finish button. Reboot and you should be able to get back on.

At this point, Webhancer should now be removed from your computer.


Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
LDTate,
Thanks for the help. I printed your response and then followed your instructions to the best of by ability. The file webhdll.dll could not be deleted because it stated the file was in use by Windows. I took the liberty of re-booting in MS-DOS and used a DOS command to delete the file. Everything else seems to have gone fine. I mean to say the webhancer stuff has cleared up. I still seem to be having some kind of browser problems. If I re-boot the computer, AOL will try to go online, which it cannot do because I unstored my password. If I do go online, and then sign off, AOL will restart, sometimes as much as 10 minutes later. Just now I signed on to send this message, and when I tried to go to TomCoyote's site, I received a message, "That web page is not availible off-line, would you like to connect or continue working off-line?" If I say "connect", I am taken to the web site. I hope I am not getting too wordy, I know I tend to ramble on at times, but I guess I feel the more info I give, the better help I can get. Following is my lasest HJT scan, thanks again.
Hal

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:27:30 PM, on 7/24/05
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\CLMPANEL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\MSOFFICE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\AOLTRAY.EXE
C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\HFMENU.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BRMFRSMG.EXE
C:\AMERICA ONLINE 5.0\WAOL.EXE
C:\AOL DOWNLOADS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by America Online
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ohb - {999A06FF-10EF-4A29-8640-69E99882C26B} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NSAB123.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HomeKeyLogger] C:\PROGRAM FILES\HOMEKEYLOGGER\KEYLOGGER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMFrontPanel] clmpanel /i
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Osa.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msoffice.exe
O4 - Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Findfast.exe
O4 - Startup: MFL Pro.lnk = C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\MFLPRO.EXE
O4 - Startup: Fax Menu.lnk = C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\HFMENU.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in Trusted Zone, should be Internet Zone
O16 - DPF: {7149E79C-DC19-4C5E-A53C-A54DDF75EEE9} (IObjSafety.DemoCtl) - http://cabs.media-motor.net/cabs/joysaver.cab
I suggest you do this:

Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX (file missing)

O2 - BHO: ohb - {999A06FF-10EF-4A29-8640-69E99882C26B} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NSAB123.DLL

O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Findfast.exe

O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in Trusted Zone, should be Internet Zone

O16 - DPF: {7149E79C-DC19-4C5E-A53C-A54DDF75EEE9} (IObjSafety.DemoCtl) - http://cabs.media-motor.net/cabs/joysaver.cab


Did you add this keylogger? If not, fix also.
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HomeKeyLogger] C:\PROGRAM FILES\HOMEKEYLOGGER\KEYLOGGER.EXE

Optional Fixes. Resource hogs and not needed at startup.
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Osa.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msoffice.exe


Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"


Use Add/Remove Programs and remove:
If you choose to uninstall this:
HOMEKEYLOGGER


Restart in Safe Mode:
Restart your computer.

Press the F8 key until the startup menu appears.

Choose the Safe Mode option then press Enter.


To configure Windows to show all files

1.Do one of the following:
In Windows 98/Me/2000, on the Windows desktop, double-click the My Computer icon.

2.Do one of the following:
In Windows 98, on the View menu, click Folder Options.
On the View tab, uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.

3.Do one of the following:
In Windows 98, in the Advanced Settings box, under the "Hidden files" folder, click Show all files.
Then, under the "Hidden files" folder, click Show hidden files and folders.
If you see a warning message, click Yes.
Click Apply.
Click OK.




Do this also if these Temp Folders are part of your OS.

Also in safe mode navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.


Next navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\(EVERY LISTED USER)\Local Settings\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files". Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.


Empty the Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
I followed your instructions per your last post, and everything went fine until I got to "Next navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\(EVERY LISTED USER)\Local Settings\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder". I can not fin a directory call Documents ans Settings, so I could not delete anything there. I did finish the rest of the steps, but there is no improvement over the problems I listed in my last post. That is, when ever I reboot, AOL starts up and asks for my password, anytime I do sign on and then off, AOL will try one time to sign back on. If I say close, it never tries again until I sign on and off again. Plus I still get the message about that web page is unavailible less I click on "connect". The following is my current scan: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 5:44:42 PM, on 7/25/05 Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE C:\WINDOWS\CLMPANEL.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\AOLTRAY.EXE C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\HFMENU.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BRMFRSMG.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\ACSD.EXE C:\AMERICA ONLINE 5.0\WAOL.EXE C:\AOL DOWNLOADS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by America Online O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMFrontPanel] clmpanel /i O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme O4 - Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe O4 - Startup: MFL Pro.lnk = C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\MFLPRO.EXE O4 - Startup: Fax Menu.lnk = C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\HFMENU.EXE O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll Thanks, Hal
I suggest you do this:

Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:

O4 - Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe

Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"


Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
I guess I should explain that I have two AOL accounts with rwo different screen names. To help keep them separate, I have two versions of AOL software loaded on this computer, both AOL5.0 and AOL9.0. I cannot remember using the 9.0 version since all this stuff started. When I realized I had some kind of problem, I intentionally did not access AOL using my 9.0 version hoping not to contaminated it also. So, whenever I say AOL wants to start on it's own, I mean AOL 5.0. I did follow your last suggestion and removed the link to 9.0. I did not want to respond until I had a chance to throughly test it again. And yes, all the old AOL problems are still there per my last post. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 10:05:37 AM, on 7/26/05 Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE C:\WINDOWS\CLMPANEL.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\HFMENU.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE C:\AMERICA ONLINE 5.0\WAOL.EXE C:\AOL DOWNLOADS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by America Online O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMFrontPanel] clmpanel /i O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme O4 - Startup: MFL Pro.lnk = C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\MFLPRO.EXE O4 - Startup: Fax Menu.lnk = C:\BRMFLPRO\FAXMANG\HFMENU.EXE O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll Thanks, Hal
Lets look at what's in the startup. click Start> Run> type in Msconfig tap enter key. look in the Startup. List everything there and point out which ones have a check next to it.
LDTate, Sorry about taking so long to get back to you, but I had a serious problem. Last night while working on a response to your help, I try to print a screen shot of the startup files, and evertime I tried to print, the computer would crash. I disconnected the printer, but things continued to get worse. Anytime I did anything, the computer would crash, Piece by piece I was dismantling my computer. Finally I found the UPS is defective. I bypassed the UPS and started reassembling my computer, having to reinstalled some of the things I removed. I am now for the most part bach together. But alas, the AOL problems persist, as mentioned above. Following is the info you last requested: System Configuration Utility Startup Tab All 8 items are checked ScanRegistry C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe/autorun TaskMonitor C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe AVG7_CC C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE/STARTUP AVG&_AMSVR C:\ PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.exe CLMFrontPanel clmpanel /I LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe poerprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme SystemTray SysTray.Exe LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe poerprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme Thanks, Hal
Lets try unchecking these and see if that does the trick: click Start> Run> type in Msconfig tap enter key. look in the Startup. uncheck these: CLMFrontPanel clmpanel /I LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe poerprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe poerprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme After you uncheck it, you'll be using Selective startup. Reboot: When you see the box popup that tells you that, just put a Check in the Box to not show that when you startup. That's how I run mine.
LDTate, I tried your last suggestion, no change. I was trying to remember back to when this all started, and it seems like it was June 20, so I did a search of files modified on that date. Below is a list, some are just directories and probably not much help. Maybe this route is not the way to go, but I am getting desparate to find why keeps starting on it's own. sefe.exe C:\ podrnodzone.exe C:\ temp.txt C:\windows whCC-GIANT.exe C:\windows ubber60.ini C:\windows c4t.exe C:\windows\system cache32_rtneg4 C:\windows\system Install.dat C:\windows\ApplicationData 1111 C:\windows\Favorites FreeProd2 C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files plus 9 entries in C:\windows\cookies Does any of this look suspicious, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks, Hal
i don't use AOL but, I'd think it's a setting in AOL. I'll do some checking and see what I can find. Look here: Any file in C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp will start when windows is booted.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI