Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Norton Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mdearing

mdearing

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:32 AM

I have been having difficulty in re-installing Notron Anit-virus and having a live-update executed properly. I have been told that I must completely un-install the old versions before installing a new version. If this is not done properly, there are remnants of the older versions which are left and they will foul everything up. Any help out there? Thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 WOLFGAR

WOLFGAR

Owner of Wolfchat.org!!

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:IRC, Computers, programing, Computer Gaming...

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:42 PM

This is a fun one. Nortons SHOULD have an uninstaller of its own. Go to start/programs, locate your Nortons programe group, it may be under symantic. Select uninstall from there and follow the on screen directions. If this is not present for any reason, then go to controll panel, and select add/remove programs. Select Nortons from there and again, follow the on screen directions. Which every way you do, you Then will have to look for symantic in add/remove programs and remove that as well. While doing this make note of the program paths for both Nortons and symantics ( Normaly located in c:\programe files, if you used the default install proceedure) After add/remove has finnished doing its job, follow that path, and insure that those entire directories have been removed, if not manulay remove what is left, by single left clicking on the directory and then hitting the del key on your keyboard.

Reboot the comptuer, I would then personaly use a third party programe called Ccleaner, ( http://www.cccleaner.com ) to remove any remaining registry entries . I like CCleaner because it is an easy programe to use, and fairly safe, it will remove only what is safe to remove from the registery. This app has a few options. If you are not familare with this app, Please write back to here, and i will be more then happy to walk you thorugh the use of it.

Again Reboot, and try the new install.

Please note, that the directions I gave above, assumes that Nortons is the ONLY symantics product you have installed. If you have other symantic products installed that you DO NOT wish to uninstall, then this proceedure is not for you.

WOLFGAR :hat:
(This is where i would type :hat: if you offered that smiley ! HINT HINT)