How to fully uninstall Symantec - or fix it (Corporate edition)
4 min read
Cheers,
Lee
I repeated the process again only this time I only uninstalled Norton and had the same problem.
I did it one more time but this time I used the Norton Removal Tool and Media Center continued to work correctly.
Fluke or specific hardware? I don't know but Caveat Emptor
Well … I repeated the process again and this time I used Norton Removal Tool. Same problem, Media Center no longer worked, so it looks like Revo is not the culprit after all.
I restore it one more time and this time I left Norton installed but disabled all Startup items and Service tasks. So far so good. I've got SP3 and IE7 installed and Media Center is still working. I'll do the updates next and see what happens. It appears that uninstalling Norton breaks Media Center.
Hi - Thanks for you responses Lee and Rich.
Rich - do you still have Norton installed as the AV on the XP MCE system? Did you upgrade the license so you can continue using Norton as the AV, or do you still plan on replacing Norton?
thanks.
I'm finally back at my Dad's so I am going to try to uninstall Norton. I think maybe I should do an image of his disk first, since you guys have described these problems.
I do think he has some sort of Outlook email virus though, so the disk image will likely contain that virus, whatever it is. Someone sent him an email which keeps replicating itself in his subfolder. All the mail from this friend of his was being sent to its own folder. There's a bunch of the same message in this folder. My Dad deleted all the other messages from this friend from the folder, and even renamed the Outlook folder, creating a new one with the old name.
My Dad's AV ran out, so the first thing I wanted to do was install an AV program (like AntiVir). Maybe I should be posting in the Malware forum, instead of here? Is that okay?
I don't use Outlook, and only rarely use Thunderbird. (I do most email on webclients like gmail, yahoo, etc) So digging worms or viruses out of mail folders isn't something I've ever had to deal with. I'm tempted to use Outlook to delete the renamed folder which has the self-replicating email message, but I don't know if that would cause more harm than good, so I'm not doing that just yet.
He's got 32 GB used on his hard drive. Looks like a disk image using clonezilla might take a while…
Let me know what you think. In the meantime, I'm starting an image and I'll post this self-replicating e-mail question to the malware forum.
Thanks!
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=121853
thanks!
Linda, I disabled Norton/Symantec, both Startup and Services and just left all the files anf registry entries alone. I then installed Microsoft Security Essentials. Media Center is still working fine.
Thanks Rich. Happy New Year :-) !!
Btw, my father's computer isn't MCE.
I've posted a thread on the malware board because there is actually malware via Outlook.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI