This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

need help loading win98

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I wrote a week or so ago, but still having problems. A friend has an old computer that ran win98 until someone tried to load XP onto it and now, even after format, I cannot reload 98. Has an error referring to NTSF format. Says need a dos partition. The answer I had was with boot disk in type convert c:/fs:fat32, but when I try this I get error message that "cannot read from drive e:" which is really weird since no reference to a drive e: is being made. Any suggestions so I can get this girl back up and running? Larry
Hmm.. when you get to the prompt, type fdisk and press enter. Navigate your way from there to find out how the disk is partitioned and post back
OK, ran Fdisk and don't really understand all it said, but referred to NTSF format. But, it also asked about making a dos partition and I said yes, so maybe it will work now……….but, of couse I did not have the instalation disks with me so not sure. Will give this a try and anything else you can suggest, but one major problem……… I have to go in the hospital early Tuesday for Colon Cancer Surgery so will be a while before I am up to it. But, will be trying when I can, so Thanks for the info. Larry
Well, seems I gotta get well before I can get really well………Came down with a sinus infection so surgery off for a week or so, so may get chance to try this later this week. Larry

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI