Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

NIS and MSAccess conflict

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Twain

Twain

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:23 AM

I've been searching for an answer to this problem for a while now. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Its time to renew my NIS subscription and I have a decision to make. In my office we have a small peer to peer network of three computers, (sometimes four if I hook up my laptop), running Windows 2000 Professional using a Linksys router. All computers have NIS installed. We use MSAccess as our database and need to use it constantly. Data is centralized on one computer and needs to be accessed by the others running the front end of the database. The problem is that in order to run MSAccess I have to disable NIS, otherwise it takes a full minute or more to load MSAccess and just as long to move from one record to another - totally unworkable. I've been on the NIS website to find an answer, but their position seems to be that they just don't support NIS for use on a peer to peer network. I haven't been able to locate any answers on the Microsoft site either. Is there a firewall/antivirus product that will work with this configuration? Having to shut down the database before accessing the internet is a major pain. You people do a great service to those of us who need your expertise. Thanks. RW.

Advertisements

Register to Remove