Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows 2000 Server Network Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 paulVA

paulVA

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:01 PM

Can anyone give us a lead for a possible fix or share their similar experience with the following: Server - dual hard drive, running windows 2000 server, msSQL workstations - 10 total, all windows xp professional Every day, without fail, between 4:00pm and 5:00pm our network slows to a crawl. Shared folders on the server are slow to access from a workstation. rebooting the workstations helps. This time frame happens to be about 10 hours after the start of our day when all workstations, as a matter of habit, are re-booted for good measure. Could this have something to do with some power settings? We tryed turning off the option on the network cards that powers down the card after so many hours of inactivity, but no luck. There are no external process running, in other words an off site back up, or anything like that to our knowledge. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Paul

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:01 PM

Is the server running maintenance at that time maybe?

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 paulVA

paulVA

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:20 PM

No, not to my knowledge. Is there any way I can check if there are any services running? I'm pretty sure we scheduled the backup to SQL overnight and our off-site backups run throughout the day without any slowdown.

#4 paulVA

paulVA

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 06:02 PM

Crow: A little more investigating has turned up a possibility. Do you have any experience, or anyone out there, with a network getting "slammed by packets" It's been recommended that we run a Network Monitor to track our traffic and the packets at that time of day. It seems like there are many free downloads of Network Monitors...any recommendations? Thanks, Paul

#5 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:30 AM

hmm.. thats a little out of my reach. If MitchShrader is watching ... he might be able to give a little more advice on that one for you. Can u disconnect from the net all together and see if this still happens?

Edited by Crow, 11 February 2005 - 05:39 AM.

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"