Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How to make PC-Linq work between Win10 PCs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sebastian42

Sebastian42

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:29 AM

I still have  PC-Linq 'bridging - cross-over' cable that used to allow data transfer between 98E and XP in an effective and user-friendly way. I would like to use it between Win10 PCs. There is a 2018 post on the web, https://answers.info...with-windows-10, that claims it still works for Win10, provided it is installed and run As Administrator, and that the Compatibility Mode is set (for WinXP). I have done that and when it failed, I ran the Troubleshooter which came back with 'Mdi is incompatible'. Knowing that PCs often tell diagnostic lies, I figure that the software could be inadequate or any number of other gremlins could be causing the failure. I want to cast a wide net by asking for help in forums. I already know about work-arounds - the easiest being to use a USB-stick - and ethernet-wise, I KNOW that Team Viewer also works. After a great deal of effort, I've had NO success with networking through ethernet cable, so spare me reminders about THAT option. The only modern version I could find, from USBGear https://www.usbgear....fer-cable.html, has user comments at  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GIGNVC which range from EXCELLENT to ABYSMAL. 

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:41 AM

Via the network would be my best suggestion. But since you don't really want to do that, I recommend getting an external drive that you can copy files to, then move back and forth between computers. Or, you can store those files in "The Cloud". 

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:40 PM

I'm going to make some assumptions here...

I'm assuming that you don't have a network that both computers are connected to.  I find that odd, but based upon the info you have provided I'm making that assumption.

I'm also going to assume that the computers do not have wifi.  I suggest that you get a wifi dongle for each of the computers and set up an adhoc wireless network between the two computers.  Once each computer has wireless capabilities, you can follow the directions here:https://www.dignited...thout-a-router/

Another workaround is to put the files that you want to share on Onedrive or Dropbox or some other cloud storage and share it with the two computers.  Then you just need to put the files in the cloud storage and access them from each computer.  The downside to this workaround is you would need to be able to access the internet which I've assumed

You can only be connected to one network at a time so if my assumption is wrong and you are connected to the internet through a network, you won't get internet while on the ad-hoc network.

Personally I find the cloud solution a hassle, though I'm probably in the minority.  I'd use the ad-hoc network... or buy a cheap router and plug each computer into it.  Thinking about it, and seeing as how I have a couple old routers lying around... I'd just do that.  You don't have to be connected to the internet to set up a network in the router.

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#4 Sebastian42

Sebastian42

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:03 PM

Thank you TomK

I'm really NOT after work-arounds, but in finding out if anybody-out-there can reproduce the success claimed by the post I quoted in getting PC-Linq to work with Win10.