This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

NAV causing problems with internet based apps

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer had been working fine till last night, when I found that I could not log into my AIM messenger or my Pokerstars client. I checked Internet Explorer and it seems to work absolutely fine, so there is nothing wrong with the internet connection. I decided to look at Norton Security, but noticed it had disappeared from my taskbar (it usually runs constantly in the background). When I loaded it up it and try to go into the antivirus part, I get the message "The Norton AntiVirus component is not installed or failed to load. Please uninstall and reinstall Norton AntiVirus". I followed a link from there which let me do an online virus check, which came up clear, and the rest of the instructions they gave me were very unclear (I'm not that great with computers). To sum up - IE works fine, but other programs which require me to log on to a service don't work. At the same time Norton Antivirus seems to have broken, but I stlll get this program when I do not have Norton open. Have any of you any idea what this could be?
Hi and welcome

I followed a link from there which let me do an online virus check, which came up clear, and the rest of the instructions they gave me were very unclear (I'm not that great with computers)

Those instructions were to disable all items in startup menu leaving only Norton products loading at boot up.

The problem might be an easy fix….If not it's possible you'll need the Norton removal tool to uninstall and ensure a non corrupt reinstall.
read over the links below that suggest how to reset firewall rules.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nip.n…005083015103436
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.n…9f?OpenDocument
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=259337
Thanks for the reply. I tried booting up with only the Norton programs, but then the instructions just tell me to restart after troubleshooting. It doesn't tell me what troubleshooting I'm supposed to be doing after booting up like this. I don't have the product key for my Norton programs as I downloaded it 4 years ago and haven't got the original email. I think I'm just going to completely scrap it using the Norton removal tool, then either buy a new version or download a free antivirus program. I'm not sure if this is going to solve my problem with not being able to use certain programs over the internet though as they still don't work if I completely shut down Norton.
You make a decision of what you would like to do, let me also suggest you might go to the HJT forum http://forums.whatthetech.com/HijackThis_L…emoval_f27.html and have your logs looked over for peace of mind.
Ensure you read How To Get Help


I can give you links to free Antivirus and Firewall programs which are used by a very many.
What you'll probably have to do is experiment some what to find one that runs well on your machine.

Avira
Here is a tutorial on it's setup and use:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/content/Se…rticles/64.html

Avast!
How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus

AVG Free ,
Help overview http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5/us/frt/0/num/616#faq_616
This is a very useful read:
http://grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com/2008…-version-8.html

Never install more than one antivirus scanner or firewall on your system

Free Antivirus With Resident Protection and other related resources.
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiem…irus%20Scanners

If installing a Firewall please disable WIndows XP Firewall.
To disable Windows Firewall, follow these steps:
1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. Type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
4. On the General tab, click Off (not recommended).
5. Click OK.
********************

The following FREE Firewall versions are:
Zone Alarm free:
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/cat…ry=US〈=en
PDF documention for Zone Alarm available here:
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/sup…a/znalmMain.jsp
If you are going to try Zone Alarm I suggest to just install the basic firewall so the bundled trial Antivirus does not get installed, Also I recommend NOT installing the new optional feature Spy Blocker, as it's run by the questionable search engine Ask.com. You can read more about Ask.com http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/installa…kjeeves-banner/

Comodo free:
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
If you want only the Firewall, you can de-select Install Comodo AntiVirus during the installation process.
http://forums.comodo.com/firewall_faq/wher…l-t27112.0.html
Comodo (Uncheck during installation "Install Comodo SafeSurf..", Make Comodo my default search provider" and "Make Comodo Search my homepage")

Sunbelt kerio:
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-…ewall/Download/
PDF documentation for Sunbelt Kerio available here:
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-…/Documentation/

Online Armor Free
http://www.tallemu.com/free-firewall-prote…n-software.html

Jetico free:
http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/jpfirewall.htm

Note: You must only use 1 (one) Firewall at a time because if you have 2 or more Firewalls running at the same time, they will conflict with each other and make your security less reliable.
The above are known good free Firewalls available for personal use. If one conflicts with your system, try another.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of available ones see the link Here

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI