This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

"System" process is using 80-99% of my CPU

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When my system should be idle, a process called just "System" uses anywhere from 80-100% of my CPU resources and like 240K mem. Other times, "System Idle Process" may use it all. What are these two processes and how do I get my computer back?
The memory is nothing as I have over a gig of ram, but I can really notice the CPU usage. I haven't found out what causes it, but another (possibly unrelated problem) I have is whenever I put a DVD in, you can tell its lagging. The sound and video is jumpy, and unwatchable.

I have just recently re-isntalled windows and don't have any spyware on here.
I've checked with updated versions of the following: Adaware SE Professional 1.06, Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3, and my Hi Jack This log was looked over: here. I also ran the PC Pit Stop Diagnostic Tool at http://www.pcpitstop.com – it said defragment, I defragmented, still nothing.

It's really been annoying. Any ideas? I know you probably need more information to see what's going on, so just let me know what it is…

Brandon

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI