Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

What Spyware and Virus protection should I use?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Danno_Cali

Danno_Cali

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:48 AM

I currently use SpyFerret and McAfee. Both are around $20-$25 per year. I like the regular updates from SpyFerret and the daily ones from McAfee. They make me feel, well, up to date. I assume this is potentially a false sense of security as the updates are only as good as the service I知 using. Also, I often wonder if I知 spending enough or too much for my security. Are there all-in-one providers that I should consider? In any case, both accounts are coming due in mid December and I would be open to any suggestions on what might be better, cheaper, more affective, all-in-one, etc. I have a few weeks to decide so post away; coach/educate me on the finer points of computer protection. Thanks all, ~Danno~

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nick

Nick

Retired Staff

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:25 AM

I wouldn't renew Spyferret. Not only is it a rogue program, but it is stealing part of it's database from Spybot Search and Destroy. Look here and scroll down to the Spyferret entry. For info about it's theft of Spybot data, see this Ad Aware also targets it as a bad program.

I would get rid of Spyferret and install these free programs:

Spybot Search and Destroy

Ad Aware SE

I would also install SpywareBlaster. It doesn't scan for spywae but can prevent spyware from being installed and it doesn't need to run all the time.

I don't use McAfee, but I recommend NOD32 which has a 30 day free trial.

Edited by Nick, 01 December 2005 - 05:11 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Nick

Nick

Retired Staff

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:06 AM

I tried the free scan for SpyFerret and was not impressed. It detected some unknown BHO as spyware, but I had no spyware on my computer. I definately would not pay them any more money. Details here
Posted Image

#4 Danno_Cali

Danno_Cali

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:28 AM

Nick, Great info...thanks for the post. I read your links and agree...SpyFerret is limited. I was new to spyware when i signed up. I'll know better next time. Thanks again, ~Danna~