This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

What Spyware and Virus protection should I use?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I currently use SpyFerret and McAfee. Both are around $20-$25 per year. I like the regular updates from SpyFerret and the daily ones from McAfee. They make me feel, well, up to date. I assume this is potentially a false sense of security as the updates are only as good as the service I’m using. Also, I often wonder if I’m spending enough or too much for my security. Are there all-in-one providers that I should consider? In any case, both accounts are coming due in mid December and I would be open to any suggestions on what might be better, cheaper, more affective, all-in-one, etc. I have a few weeks to decide so post away; coach/educate me on the finer points of computer protection. Thanks all, ~Danno~
I wouldn't renew Spyferret. Not only is it a rogue program, but it is stealing part of it's database from Spybot Search and Destroy. Look here and scroll down to the Spyferret entry. For info about it's theft of Spybot data, see this Ad Aware also targets it as a bad program.

I would get rid of Spyferret and install these free programs:

Spybot Search and Destroy

Ad Aware SE

I would also install SpywareBlaster. It doesn't scan for spywae but can prevent spyware from being installed and it doesn't need to run all the time.

I don't use McAfee, but I recommend NOD32 which has a 30 day free trial.
I tried the free scan for SpyFerret and was not impressed. It detected some unknown BHO as spyware, but I had no spyware on my computer. I definately would not pay them any more money. Details here
Nick, Great info…thanks for the post. I read your links and agree…SpyFerret is limited. I was new to spyware when i signed up. I'll know better next time. Thanks again, ~Danna~