Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Question about the programs I am using to protect my computer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pbwood

pbwood

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

So here is my list of programs I use to protect my computer again attacks. AVG 8.0 Free Edition Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 SpywareGuard 2.2 <----- this is the one I really question Spyware Blaster 4.1 StartupMonitor Spybot S&D 1.6.0 Ad-Aware SE Professional 1.06r1 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28 HijackThis 2.0.2 So my question is are all of these progs, good enough? My main question is about SpywareGuard, it seems very old since it is not being updated anymore, the last time it was updated was in 2004. Is there a better program to replace this with, or is it still good enough?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

Hello pbwood,

I understand your concern re Spyware Guard. I have it on my computer enabled at startup, just checked and you are correct there has been no update since that date. However I am leaving it there, it is your choice as to whether you keep it.

All your present programs look fine to me, however I would download and install the free AVG Antispyware and A_squared free and forget about Ad-Aware SE Professional 1.06r1. Only my opinion, but I have both and I recommend them .....they work well. All my Antispyware are manually run, randomly, and do not startup at boot time.

Here is another I recommend and does startup at boot time ComodoBioClean Antmalware 4.26. In researching this post for you I found it has an update to 4.27!

Others will comment, perhaps saying you have too many installed, but as long as they are not enabled to at startup, they will not conflict.

One Firewall and one Antivirus both enabled at startup is the go, but I am sure you know that. :thumbup:

Keep us posted, and thanks for your post, a good topic for discussion.

kind regards,

#3 pbwood

pbwood

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

Yes here is what I have opening at startup: AVG 8.0 Free Edition Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 SpywareGuard 2.2 Spyware Blaster 4.1 StartupMonitor I felt like every program did something different so each was needed. Yes I am aware that SpywareGuard and Spayware Blaster do pretty much the same job but since Guard hasnt been updated in a few years I thought it best to combine the two. Just a quick question, do you not like Ad-Aware, or do you think those other 2 progs are just better? Thanks!

Edited by pbwood, 12 September 2008 - 07:19 PM.

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:30 PM

Hello pbwood, Ad-Aware and my opinion of it... It gave me trouble on my computers a long time ago, once that happens, there is much more out there to choose from that give no trouble, so I uninstalled it. When I say trouble, I mean updates were delayed, updates did not install, things like that. I have no time for software that does not work for me. I also think it is old hat now, but again that is only my opinion. You must decide for yourself, and yes, I think both the links given to you in my previous post are superior to Ad-Aware. best regards,

#5 pbwood

pbwood

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

Apparently AVG Antispyware is included in AVG 8, so yes I do have that and didn't even know it; and yes it starts at bootup as well, I guess everything dealing with AVG starts at bootup(Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Resident Shield). Decided against A_squared, because I read that Comodo was good enough for both of them. Guess Ad-Aware will be uninstalled now.

#6 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

....and yes it starts at boot up as well, I guess everything dealing with AVG starts at boot up(Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Resident Shield).

Not necessarily, unless you want it that way.
  • Go to Start
  • Run
  • type "msconfig" without the quotes
  • OK
  • Startup tab
  • Disable, 'untick' anything you do not want starting at boot.
  • Make sure you leave your Antivirus, and Firewall running.
Keep us posted and please ask if you need more assistance.

Best regards,

Edited by tallin, 12 September 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#7 pbwood

pbwood

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:11 PM

The only things I see there about AVG are the Email Scanner and Watch Dog. Maybe the Watch Dog is the Antivirus and Antispyware.

#8 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

Oh! I am not familiar with Watch Dog, I googled it but only came up with "Watch Dog Timer" :huh:

Certainly leave AVG email scanner as it is....

Put in a search on your system for watch dog and let us know what it is!

• Start
  • Search
  • Files and Folders
Would be interesting to know what 'watch dog' is on your system. Sure it did not say 'WinPatrol' with a scottty dog icon in the systems tray near the clock? :unsure:

That is another one I should have mentioned to you, along with SuperAntispyware.

#9 pbwood

pbwood

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

Oops, nevermind, those were listed under the Services tab. I don't see anything listed under the Startup tab. By the way does Comodo use a popup to tell me when it finds something? Or does it just remove the problem and not tell me? Anyway searched returned 3 files. all on C drive. Watchdog.sy_ @ windows\I386, watchdog.sys @ windows\system32, and watchdog.sys @ windows\servicepackfiles\i386. No Winpatrol here.

Edited by pbwood, 12 September 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#10 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

All those found in your search are OS files to be left well alone :o

No, on my systems, Comodo is a silent worker, updates on bootup almost every day without you doing a thing, and No it does not tell you if and when it finds a nasty.

If you watch after boot up in the Systems Tray, the Comodo icon will have a down pointing green arrow when it is updating and installing new definitions.

It concerns me that you have not got your Firewall and Antivirus showing in startup. Are you sure there is nothing in Startup tab after you go into Msconfig?

All the best,

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 pbwood

pbwood

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

OK, silent is good, is the icon supposed to be black or green I have seen it change a couple of times, most of the time its black. Nope, nothing about AVG or Kerio Firewall in my startup, yet when I go to task manager and look at running processes, AVG is there, and Kerio has an icon in my tray. I don't quite get it either. So how many process is Comodo running on your comp? Mine has 2 BOCore.exe and BOC427.exe. The second one is using 19,444K memory.

Edited by pbwood, 12 September 2008 - 10:29 PM.

#12 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

The icon is mostly black with a little yellow at the bottom! it changes when working and that is most of the time, depending what your activity is on the internet.....

I also have two running in my processes (38 in all)

• BOC426 .exe = 1776K and
  • BOCore.exe = 1044k
Well I am off now so hope I have managed to help you with your installations.

Take care,

with regards,

#13 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:28 PM

Good Morning pbwood,

I have had advice that your Firewall Kerio (aka tiny firewall, now sunbelt-kerio) is a potential vulnerability risk, It was a excellent firewall back in its day but is no longer being developed/updated and shouldnt really be used.

May I suggest Zone Alarm Free . I have it on my systems, so can recommend it. If you decide to install it, please download to your desktop before going off line and uninstalling your present Firealarm, then install ZoneAlarm going back online when it becomes necessary to update the definitions and for configuring the new software.

Post back if you need more assistance and feel free to ask any questions.

Did you realise you have your PM turned off? OR I think there is a requirement of 15 posts to enable it automatically......one or the other.

kind regards,

#14 pbwood

pbwood

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:07 PM

Hi, thanks for the update! I knew it wasnt being developed anymore, just didnt know of a better firewall to replace it with. I will switch it out for Zone Alarm, per your recommendation. Not sure about the PM thing, but htis is #15 so I guess we will find out! Thanks again! Keep the updates coming!

#15 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:48 PM

When logged on, click on My Controls at the top, look over to the left and you should see Menu/with Messenger under it and directly in the middle Welcome to your Control Panel.

Let me know and if you have no Messenger Controls, I will ask a pal of mine who is on staff who knows about these things..... I just sent you a test PM and you are fine, your PM's are up and running for you.

Glad you agree with my recommendation regarding Zone Alarm, you will not be disappointed I am sure of that...

Good luck,

best regards,