This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:rant2: When I am done using my computer, and I walk a way, after 10 minutes my screensaver comes on. And after a few minutes of my screensaver being on, without anyone touching my computer, the computer goes back to the desktop screen. I have to restart my computer, then it's ok untill I get on it and use it again. Any ideas what is causing this? Thanks for your time. Holly :rant:
Do you mean your computer desktop is frozen and you have to restart the computer? Or do you mean the computer seems to work fine except the screen saver no longer will start after 10 minutes of inactivity until you reboot? What operating system and which screen saver? Does it happen with any screensaver you run or just one particular one? I can suggest two things that might cause this problem. One could be power management options are interfering with the screen saver. Check BIOS and try for testing try disabling any power management options. Check OS (XP?) and make sure display shows correct monitor installed. If not update monitor driver. This will make sure OS knows correct power saving settings. Check OS power management options - for testing make sure setting to turn off monitor is never, turn off hard drive is never, and hiberation is disabled. See if the screen aver works right with these setting off. The other is a program running in the background is causing an activity that shuts the screen saver down. I heard of one case where a keyboard with a built in fingerprint reader would cause this problem. Going to then typing msconfig will bring up a system configuration utilty. Under the startup tab, you can try disabling the various programs that are starting in the background to see if this solves the problem. If it does you can start adding them back one at a time until you discover which one is causing the problem? If the screen saver is XP provided one, you could try just disabling uncommon programs from starting up first, since common programs like Norton Antivirus etc are not likely to be causing this problem.
The computer seems to work ok, except for the screen saver. And to get it to stop goimg back to the desk top I have to restart. I have windows xp and it does it on any screen saver. Thanks for your reply, can you explain it to me better, I am not that new, but I don' t understand all the computer carp** yet! Thanks! :P
:rant: Now I can't even play a game, because what ever is running in the back ground keeps intrupting it. Please tell me how to fix this prolbem, I don't want to whip my computer completly out, but I am so ready too!!! :rant2: :blink: :angry: Thanks!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI