Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Screensaver not working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 aps27

aps27

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:37 AM

Hi, I am using Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop and am running the Windows XP OS. Recently, my screen saver has stopped working. I have set the activation time to 1 min and to turn off the monitor to 10 mins. But it just doesnt get activated. I even reinstalled my laptop. But still the screensaver is not getting activated. I formatted my c drive to reinstall but the d drive and e drive are intact. Before this problem started one day my computer hung and when I restarted it, after rebooting and before Windows started, the laptop started giving a loud beep sound. I turned it off and turned it on again to hear the same sound. The third time onwards there was no sound. But since then I have observed that the screen saver is not getting activated. I had posted the query on the spyware thread but it seems there is no virus problem. It would be really nice if you can help.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

Hi aps27,

Just to check the settings you are activating for your screen saver to work.

• Right Click on a free area of your Desktop
  • Properties
  • Screen Saver tab
  • Choose your preference screen saver from the drop down menu
  • Click settings and choose them
  • OK
  • Apply and OK
Returning to the Display Properties, Screen Saver tab if you then Click the Power button at the bottom, how are your Power Settings set?

Post back to let us know if selecting another Screen Saver using the bulleted step by step as above, applying, then closing the Display Settings, were to work for you?

If it does you can always go back to select the Screen Saver of your real choice later on.

Best regards,

#3 aps27

aps27

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:08 PM

Selecting a screen saver did not resolve the problem. I have tried that n number of times before also. I have set the screen saver to get activated in 1 min and the power settings are as follows: When Plugged in: Turn off monitor: After 10 mins Turn off hard disks: After 10 mins System Standby: After 1 hr Running on Batteries: Turn off monitor: After 5mins Turn off hard disks: After 5mins System Standby: After 1hr

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

Hi aps27,

I suggest you do the following, it may help as you maybe missing some .dll files in your OS XP/SP2. If you decide to proceed the exercise can do no harm to your computer, infact can only do good.

Backup/archive/copy

To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

• Start
  • Run
  • type:sfc /scannow (note the space between c /)
  • Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.
Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack - SP1 when SP2/SP3 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.
________

SFC No disk, no friends to help

Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: (http://www.snapfiles.../get/erunt.html) and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.

For the alterations needed to run SFC If you go here (http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html) you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.
________

Have you tried Systems Restore back to a date before your problem? If you need help in doing this, please post back for further information if the above SFC Scan does not resolve the problem with your screen saver.

There will be no report at the end of the SFC scan, it does take some time, when it is over reboot and try your screen saver again.

Best regards,

#5 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

So after 1 minute, absolutely nothing happens, correct? What happens if you go back to the choose screensaver tab and click the preview button, does the screensaver successfully come up?
The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#6 aps27

aps27

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:47 PM

Yes. After 1 min nothing comes up. If I choose preview option from the screen saver tab, the screen saver comes up but goes off immediately. I have to click preview 3-4 times before the preview actually comes up and stays till I move the mouse. I did try the solution provided earlier to run SFC but it didnt help. Also I reinstalled my laptop so i cant do a system restore.

#7 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:17 AM

Aps27,

For what it is worth, screen savers take CPU to run, I don't use one. That I know does not solve your problem.

What happens if you choose none in the screensaver box, then go to
  • Power
  • Power Schemes 'Always on' in the drop down menu
  • Turn off Monitor '3 minutes'
  • Turn off Hard Disk 'Never'
  • System Standby 'Never'
  • Apply
  • OK
I know they are not your choice, they are mine on this PC and on my Laptop down the hall - but try them, reboot and tell me if they work for you please?

How long did the SFC Scan take to run?

kind regards,

#8 aps27

aps27

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

It didnt work :( The SFC scan took about 10 mins..

#9 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

Aps27, Please tell me if you have Windows XP/SP 1/2/or 3.......Your profile does not say? If you have SP3 is your Windows OS CD slipstreamed with SP3? This is a very important question for an SFC scan to complete correctly. kind regards,

#10 aps27

aps27

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

I have Windows XP SP3. Just upgraded to SP3 3-4 days back. My cd is SP2.

#11 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:48 PM

aps27,

For SFC Scan to complete correctly you will need to Slipstream SP3 as follows

Other than this above suggestion to assist you with your screensaver problem I am all out of suggestions for you. Now you have SP3 installed you really need to do the above process.

Has the problem started since you installed SP3?

best regards,

Edited by tallin, 08 November 2008 - 05:49 PM.