Hello to whoever finds me…
I need some help…
After a recent, extensive, cleanup of spyware and malware from my computer (with the help of someone from TechSupportForum.com) I developed a problem with my computer.
When I shut down my Toshiba Notebook, Windows XP goes through the normal shutdown process, logs off, and then goes to a blank blue screen. The computer freezes on this blue screen, I have no mouse control, and the computer does not power off until I manually hold down the power button. This has never happened before and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback or had experienced the same thing. My computer functions fine when I power it back up but blue screens always make me nervous…
Any feedback is appreciated…
Thank You
dc
Let's start simple and see if it's a disc or file corruption.
Do a Disk Check
Go to properties of your C: (ALT + Click / Right-click)
Go to the "tools" tab.
At the first section, the "Error-checking" section, Click "Check Now"
Check both boxes and click start.
Click Yes at the prompt.
Reboot your computer.
Let it run through and complete it's scan and fix anything it needs. Then log into your account normally and do the following:
Start > Run > copy and paste in:
sfc /scannow
Click 'OK'
You will need your XP/2000/ME disk. If you don't have it and instead only have a recovery CD, there is a work around. View the following link for a tutorial:
sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.
Let's also ensure there isn't something nasty on your machine causing it. Please run a free online malware scan with Panda:
Please ensure you save the log of the scan. If the scan finds anything more serious then tracking cookies….copy and paste in the log into your next post. Also please let me know if the advised steps have resolved or improved the issue
Big Smiles
HS
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI