After receiving some excellent help from Satchfan clearing out some Malware, I am in need of fixing a boot issue. I am having a really difficult time getting the computer to boot up properly. I get a blue "HP" window with the escape, F1 and F10 selections on the bottom but the screen "oscillates" and is blurry. It will then transition to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner and then it will either stay in this state or the cursor will disappear but nothing else happens and I get to stare at a black screen. If I shut the computer off via the power button, this scenario repeats itself. Sometimes I can get it to boot with a clear "HP" screen at which point it will successfully boot up. I also noticed that the Power Supply fan is not operating. However if I shut off the power switch on the back of the computer next to the power plug, it will come on, but only for a few seconds and then shuts off when the computer begins the boot up process and the fan remains off. I did get it to stay on for an extended period, but the computer was not booting up at the time. When the computer does finally boot properly, it appears to work fine but without the fan operating. Sometimes when the computer attemps to boot, the amber data light will remain on steady and will not flicker.
to be honest the first thing i'd do is replace the power supply, failed fan on it doesn't bode well for a steady power source and without a steady power source you can expect all sorts of problems including the failing to boot properly every time that your experiencing.
You may just restart the system and switch it to safe boot. Now run a antivirus scan in the safe mode. Delete if any threats are detected. Now reboot the system in normal mode. I think then it would not create any issues.
Thanks for all the tips. I ran the chkdsk and everything seems to work ok. I shut the computer off last night and turned it on this A.M. and it booted up ok. I do not understand why I get the HP window with the escape, F1 and F10 selections on it at first. It never did that before. I had repalced the Power Supply in May due to an electrical storm, which are very rare out here, and it worked fine. About two weeks ago, I posted a thread on the Malware forum and Satchfan has spent the last two weeks helping me get rid of it. It was during this time that I noticed the Power Supply issue. I'll check the computer again tonight when I get home and let you know what is going on with it.
What is the make and full model number of the computer? Need to look at the Users Guide online to see how to do this as it varies with the manufacturer.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI