I am trying to update my father in laws older computer. I put in a new 80 GB HD to replace the old 2GB HD… The computer only recognizes it as a FAT 32, 2 GB HD, which is weird cause it shouldn't so that if its FAT32. I have the "latest" BIOS for the Mobo, which was 5/2001, so its not really new. I just went into fdisk and partitioned the 80 gb drive and now there is a c: 2gb and a d: 72 gb drive. I wanted the primary drive, the one with the OS, to be larger not just 2 GB… I really wanted only one drive 80 GB big. Can any of you help me?
The Computer Specs:
PIII 650 Mhz CPU
Epox EP-3VCA MoBo
512 MB Ram
OS = WIN ME <<< I know it sux… I'm trying to get WIN 2000 to see if it clears up my problem
Are you sure the initial partition created was FAT32, and not a FAT16? A FAT16 partition is limited to 2.1GB maximum. Then the second partition you created was a FAT32 and could contain the rest of the drive.
Windows ME supports extended BIOS functions which are needed to access drives of 8.4GB and larger.
It looks like your computer hardware is seeing all 80GB since you could use FDISK to make the second parition. There were BIOS limitations, but a 2001 BIOS should not be having a problem with a 80 GB HD.
BIOS
prior to May not support drives larger than
Aug 1994 528MB
Feb 1996 2.1GB
Jan 1998 8.4GB
Jun 1999 32GB
Another problem with disk size recognition sometime is jumper settings on the hard drive. What happens after the drive is configured with the Alternate Jumper Settings then, the full capacity of the drive is not recognized. In order for the system to boot properly, the BIOS will recoginze smaller drive capacity. Depending on your BIOS, your drive will recongize one of the following sizes: 2.1GB, 8.4GB, 32GB. Since you can make the 72 GB parition I don't think this is a problem since you could make the second partition.
Can you see the hard drive disk information during boot up to see what size it is seeing? I imagine the BIOS setting is to autodetect. You may have to hit esc to get rid of a ME splash screen, I forget if Me had a splash screen to hide the DOS part of the bootup like win2000 has. You may have to go into BIOS to disable a quick boot setting in sometimes in order to see the memory test and the autodetect information. I suspect this would show the full 80GB.
Sounds more like a Operating system problem or a FAT16 partition, then a hardware/BIOS limitation.
Windows ME is NOT a bad OS. However, you have to keep it clean and run maintinance often.
Make sure your boot order is set to boot from cd drive before harddrive. Put in your Windows installation cd. Reboot. It will ask you "Press Any Key To Boot From CD"… do so. Follow the instructions to install Windows. During this process, it will partition and format your drive for you or let you do it manually.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI