This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

2nd hard drive has drive letter conflict ... what do I do?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I have two hard drives in my computer which is a old Compaq Presario 5WV271 5000 series, both hard drives have Windows XP pro (service pack 3)that I installed on it years ago. It has the max alotted memory, a 10/100 PCI NIC, 900 MHz AMD Athlon Processor, a master hard drive 40 GB (drive C) that I am using to connect here and a slave hard drive 60 GB that says drive D when I am using it but not found when on drive C. For some reason drive C shows a (New Volume F). I am posting here to see if anyone can help me to understand why my slave drive which started out being New Volume F (which it still is when I look for it from drive C) is showing local disk D when I am using the slave. Does anyone have any idea why the slave would reletter itself and how do I correct this?
By using 2 different Tech support sites you can run the risk of having conflicting advice given and that can lead to a system being made unusable or unstable.
If you would like help from the other site then please request from a Administrator or Moderator that this topic be closed. If you would like WTT to help then please ask for the other topic to be closed. Thank you

Your other topic is located on GTG HERE