This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

320 GB HD problem

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just bought a 320 GB HD from Western Digital. I have Windows XP with SP2, with EnableBigLba (value 1), and an updated BIOS that supports hard drives of greater than 137 GB, but Windows still only recognizes 137 GB as my drive's size. The WD software will recognize 320 GB if I boot to the CD but not if run in Windows and if run from CD, the drive doesn't work after rebooting. My startup screen shows the right size for the drive, so what is going on? Is it Windows and I need to roll back and reinstall SP2? Or, is the only option at this point to buy and use an Ultra ATA/133 PCI controller card?
The chipset (Intel 810 for instance) is what the problem is. The chipset, if older, will not support that size of drive. Windows it self will support a ton of space.
I found out that it doesn't, so I just uninstalled the chipset's IDE drivers and let Window's IDE drivers take over. It worked and the drive is fine now.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI